Ch38: New Additions

Me: Roselyn.

Roselyn: Yes, ma'am!

Me: It is time.

Roselyn: Ma'am?

Me: Have all forces under my command in the north cease all operations and begin preparations for swift campaigning south to crush any potential resistance we may garner from the other generals. In addition, have all forces not required to maintain the siege on Berlin head east to assist in such pacification measures. 

Roselyn: Are we really going to-

Me: Yes. I-

A knock on the door interrupts our conversation. After a few shuffling of things to make them more presentable, we grant them permission to enter and find it is the group of representatives we'd met earlier. There are a few new faces with them in addition to Clarissa who quickly attempts to make herself scarce after showing them in but I prevent her from doing so.

Me: I trust you have reached a decision.

????: We have...however, we do have a concern.

Me: Go on.

????: What will happen to our families should we choose to join your forces?

Me: There are a few options you can take. They could remain here but I doubt you want to spend any more time in this camp. They could also head East with some of my forces to the recently taken city of Leningrad where they'd be safe under my own forces' protection and some distance away from the frontlines as we've already pushed beyond that point. They could alternatively head to Scandinavia as well if they'd prefer an even more secure option and I'm sure things could be arranged with the governing body there to grant them land temporarily until a more permanent solution is found. Lastly, they could return to the general public within Iron Blood right away. However, in the latter's case, I couldn't fully guarantee their safety as my forces don't currently occupy every single location within Iron Blood and they are almost 100% certain to face some discrimination from the general public until things are properly stabilised within the nation.

????: You've given this a lot of thought and I can see that you have our people's best interest at heart, whatever your reasons might be.

When I don't respond, he continues and before long we've finalised the main details. They, after hearing about the current state of Leningrad, chose to go there and I can't say I'm not pleased. The war had severely depopulated the city and their numbers will prove a massive boon to it. It also helps that there aren't many native citizens of Iron Blood there so even after my forces move out they could choose to remain there with little to no threat from the rest of the populace. They'd be sharing the city with other survivors after all. More importantly, though, it ensures that they remain in Iron Blood which is my ultimate goal.

Me: As for joining me...

????: Ah yes, allow me to introduce everyone. Firstly, I am James. As for those with me, I have brought forth the most promising amongst our group. They all wish to serve to repay the kindness you've shown to us and if we receive justice along the way then all the better.

Me: Very well, I look forward to working with them.

James: Yes, yes. You mentioned needing engineers, scientists and the like so here we have Ariel. Of everyone, I think joining you would be the best thing for her as she doesn't quite...well, let's just say she's different.

well, let's just say she's different

Ariel: H...Hi.

Me: Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

She blushes, turning away slightly but I make certain to offer a smile before refocusing on the matter at hand.

James: We also have with us, Elijah. An excellent scientist. Arguably the best within our community. Had a major job in...well, before it all started.

He goes on to introduce another 15 or so personnel, practically giving me an entire workforce up front and I can't say I am not extremely pleased

He goes on to introduce another 15 or so personnel, practically giving me an entire workforce up front and I can't say I am not extremely pleased. It's far better than I expected, especially given this is all from a single camp. It makes me wonder just how many people are being held here...

Me: I'll take them all.

James: Really?

Me: Every last one. Pack your things. You'll be heading to Leningrad tonight where you can get started right away.

All: Yes, ma'am.

As they all leave, I turn back to James.

Me: As for the people who wish to join my army, have them all meet us in the field just outside the camp.

James: Right now?

Me: There is not a moment to lose. They'll receive the standard equipment when we meet up with the forces stationed around the capital.

James: But what of supplies?

Me: Already handled.

James: Transportation-

Me: A convoy is on standby.

James: But-

Me: Despite our agreement, I'll only take those who volunteer. If they don't want to fight, it doesn't matter. They are free to go with the rest. It won't affect my plans in any significant manner.

James: Really? You'd let us go just like that?

Me: Uncommitted troops are far more harmful in war than small numbers. Besides, the extra manpower in Leningrad would see the city rebuilt even faster thus negating the need to allocate state resources to such an undertaking.

James: I can see I underestimated you.

Oh? Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that. All I've been doing so far is speak my mind based on what he himself said yet he's making it sound like I'm making 10-dimensional chess moves. 

James: The people have already chosen, even despite my own efforts to limit it, to fight for you. If you're willing to accept both men and women then they'd provide an extra 225,000 men and women without familial ties preventing them from fighting. They're comprised mostly of those who lost entire families whilst here and are looking for some amount of revenge though there are some fathers in the mix whose families will be heading with the rest of us to the safety of your suggested region.

Me: Very well. They'll be given proper training and equipment over time but for now, have them all gather as I'd previously mentioned.

James: Wait...you were being serious?

Me: I always am. We march in one hour.