Chapter 5: Rustboro Gym! The Devon Coroporation and Mr Briney.

The gang had finally made it to Rustboro City and Winter couldn't wait to battle in her first Hoenn gym battle.

The gang met the gym leader, Roxanne yesterday and she was a teacher at the Pokémon academy in Rustboro City.

The Pokémon academy was a school where children and young adults went to learn about Pokémon.

There was a beginner's class for children, younger than ten, class where you could learn about being a Pokémon coordinator, a class where you could learn about being a Pokémon doctor and a class where you could learn about Pokémon battles.

And today Winter was going to battle her for a badge.

Rustboro Gym nearly looked like Pewter Gym because the building was modelled to look like a big chunk of pointy rocks, and even the battlefield was a rocky one.

There were cameras put up because Roxanne liked to film her challenges so that she would show them to her pupils to give them examples of gym battling.

Some of Roxanne's students were dealing with the camera and they loved to watch Roxanne's gym battles.

"I must say Winter," Roxanne said, "I hear that you are going to be entering contests as well as gym battles am I right?"

"That's right" Winter said, she took out her ribbon case and showed Roxanne the Rustboro Ribbon. "Before I started my journey here in Hoenn I decide to achieve another dream which is to become a Top Coordinator."

"What is your other dream?"

"My other dream is to become a Pokémon Master."

Brock chuckled, "Yeah and to be honest she actually achieving that dream pretty well." He said.

"Yeah." Tomo said.

"Oh really." Roxanne said in curiosity.

"Okay I get it." Winter said, "We'll talk about it after the battle." She sigh, "I find both gym battles and contests really find. Especially when it comes to combining Pokémon moves together."

"I understand that because I like being both the gym leader of this gym and being a teacher at the Pokémon academy," Roxanne said, "so I wish you luck in both gym battles and contests."

"Thank you." Winter smiled.

May explained about her decision of become a Pokémon coordinator and Roxanne wished her luck too.

"So Winter you ready for our gym battle?" Roxanne asked.

"You're right I am." Winter replied.

Winter and Roxanne took their places on the battlefield, and Tomo, Brock, May and Max sat on a bench at the side.

"This is exciting, seeing a gym battle for the first time." Max said.

May explained that she and Max were never allowed to watch their dad whenever he had challengers because he thought that May and Max may disturb the challenges.

"I understand that because when I was small I wasn't allowed to watch my dad's gym challenges either," Brock said, "besides gym leaders to need to be strict when they have a challenge."

The referee explained the rules about the gym challenge being a two on two Pokémon battles, and the trainer who defeats all two Pokémon first wins.

The cameras started filming and then the gym battle began.

Roxanne sent out a Geodude to battle first and Winter sent out Treecko.

"Why is Winter not using Mudkip, as Water type beats rock type?" Max asked.