9. Sigh...desperate times.

On second thought, she walked to the closet, further to the black trunk under the shoe shelf. She squatted to her knees, opened the trunk, and punched 6 digits on the buttons of the appliance inside the trunk. Stacks of 1000naira notes in 100k met Laila's eyes.

She sighed a disappointed one.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

She stood to find a black leather and tossed its content out before returning to the trunk. She threw stacks into it along with the green permit.

As silently as she could, she wore her jilbab and abaya again before slowly unlatching the door.

Site, clear.

She waltzed into her room and clicked the door lock.

She was dialing a number in a flash as she went in search of a large backpack.

The line rang and rang and rang until it ended. She was relentless as she threw two sets of her longest hijabs into the bag and redialed the number. She tossed 2 t-shirts, a palazzo, perfume, and her polo club face cap.

"I see you've missed me..." a sultry voice from the other side came. "I know-"

"Manu I need your help." She cut in, out of breath as she shoved packs of painkillers in the side zips of the backpack.

The man on the other side went serious.

In a single breath, she was spilling. "I just got married. Or, i just got married off-"

"You Say what? Ma-what!?"

"Ma-rried."

"Bura uba! Garin yaya?"

"I'll explain, but right now. I need your help to transfer money into your account that i can use while i am away for the-"

"You're running away?" The man exclaimed.

She yelled back. "Yes! Daddy married me off haka kawai. Are you going to help me or not?"

Without hesitation, with a bit of stammering though he responded. "Y-yes. Of course. You deserve some time to yourself." She nodded in agreement as she tore open the new, but dusty translucent wrap off the iPhone 6 box.

Without ending the call, Laila checked into her bank app to make the transaction.

They were regular when it came to transactions, so, without asking for his account details, she wired him enough and threw the new phone and her wifi into the bag, and struggled to zip up.

She then exited the app and deleted it off the phone. Next, she did the same to the debit alert text with her body shaking in turmoil.

Her eyes snapped to her bed and she went silent over the sound of the man talking on the phone.

"Laila!" She flinched, almost losing balance along with her phone at the shriek from her phone.

"Yes...i got a better idea...are you close by?"

"A few blocks away actually..."

Laila's weak, sleepy body jerked at that. She lightly fist bumped the air at that.

"Yes. Picture this..." she painted the art and waited until his slight hesitation came. She shook her head, determined to leave her house and town at all cost.

"I can't..."

Her shoulders slumped, knowing if he said he couldn't, then he couldn't.

She nodded, respecting his decision but still standing firm on hers.