29. Chaos and stupid pills...

Tuesday, 21st may, 2019.

When you set your mind on something, it takes a thousand minus one reasons to stop you.

Laila had set her mind on waking up by 5. Despite the barely 4 hours of sleep she got, she couldn't sleep, not with a nagging voice at the back of her head telling her to wake up, she'd be late.

Her eyes fluttered open at the possibility that she'd slept past 5. Her shoulder emerged from the sofa. The sound of squishy lecture notes came when she was searching for her phone. She ventured on the mission until she found the device.

The time read 4:57 Am.

Just in time.

She switched the flashlight on her phone towards her lecture notes. Great. She slept off without completely revising her Neonatal pediatrics notes.

Now, Conso and Nurain were going to have her head for breakfast at Ward rounds.

She let out a loud puff and shifted her legs to the floor. Except, it wasn't the floor. Her calf hit something. Someone. A head.

She gasped, releasing her phone to jump back in fear.

What the hell? Who was that?

She slowly picked up her phone that fell on its back, hence blocking the flashlight. In sync with her held phone, her other hand slowly motioned to touch the intruder again.

She heard a crack, then a groan and that's when it hit her. She had slept off trying to read and Sudais had slept on the floor beneath her, limp and tired while still listening to her rant about school.

"Ya Allah. I could swear a truck hit me. Bandu am don nawa(my entire body hurts)." The man yawned, stretching his arms as he wiggled his head to ease the numbness in his neck.

His arm touched her abdomen and he quickly revived.

Even though she wasn't a morning person-she was barely a person anymore- she lightly chuckled.

"Stop flashing me." He groaned, snatching the phone from her hand to look at the time and turn off the flash before tossing it on the adjacent side of the couch.

She sighed, choosing that time to yawn and stretch her upper limbs. Halfway through, she brought a palm to cover her mouth. And when she felt a little more energy, she tackled to get down.

Keywords; a little more. She was tired. Still tired. Hell, not a day had passed by since her second year of medical school that she hadn't woken up tired and went to sleep tired.

Her left foot made contact with the pliant rug and she moaned. She endeavored to do the same with her right leg but the man beneath her had other plans. He clutched the shin of her left leg and lifted it while gliding it over his head until he rested it on his shoulder. He did the same to her right leg until she was sitting with her thighs on his shoulders and her feet crossed against his abdomen.

He leaned his head back to look at her barely visible eyes and she leaned down to do the same.

There was little to no light apart from the ones coming from their half-curtained-up window that cast a shadow-like light on their faces.

Although, a few things were visible. The bridge of his nose. His upper lips, and his eyes. And maybe hers. His eyes were half open and pink. His raging heart, his faster breathing, his faster heartbeat and obvious surge in body temperature. She was sure hers were too.

His warm hands found a home on her thighs, below her Nike shorts, and started to soothe her up and down. Up and down.

Maybe her hands had a mind of their own but they left the sofa to rest on the side of his face. She gently stroked the low-trimmed hair of his sideburns, it only made sense that that simple act of hers didn't just stroke his skin, but both their hearts. Occasionally, her fingers would slide to his neck and then glide back up. Against her fingers, the skin on his cheek fluffed up, indicating he was smiling. He was warming up, physically, emotionally and madly.