15. In which everything goes wonderfully wrong!

"For all we know, they could've gotten wrong information and it wasn't her who booked the flight."

Sultan El-amin kicked the table of water and glass cups to the floor and abruptly stood up. "Does that matter? Tell me, does it?"

The woman-his wife, jumped back, her strong facade fluttering.

"Abin da nasani shi ne, your daughter-your imbecile daughter is toying with everyone! Most especially her own life!"

"Our daughter!" The woman yelled, not having it in her to take the insults anymore. "She is our daughter! With all her mis—"

"Sit down, Fadimatu!" The man roared, inching towards the woman who let out a cry of frustration but did as ordered. He pointed a shaking finger at her. "Don't talk to me like that. It's your fault! Do you hear me? Fault naki ne. You shouldn't have left her alone that Friday. You know how your daughter is. She will-"

"Just like her father..." although she didn't mean for it to come out that strong, it did. She tilted her head to glare at him, her teeth shaking and clanking against each other and her body heaving up and down. In disbelief, she asked, softly-almost inaudibly. "And it's my fault?" Then her voice hitched higher, "Was i the one who got her married out of the blue? To a stranger! Baka san yaron ba, baka san komi ba! You didn't get their blood checked or care if she likes him. Just you and your impulsive and selfish decisions to punish her, save your reputation, and unite with another royal family in nuptials. You did this! It's your fault!" It was not enough, so she got on her feet, straining her arms to stay down as she vibrated in anger and hurt.

In a staring contest, the old man expected the woman to back down. She always does.

Then, why wasn't she this time?

He let out a scream and picked the half-broken glass cup from the floor, aimed it at nothing in particular, and flung it. It crashed into the wall and he gritted his teeth as he lunged at her.

With force, he grabbed her shoulders and shoved her down until she thumped on the couch.

Face red, eyes constricted, he bent to her level, his index at her face and his voice rough, he cautioned. "Don't ever speak to me like that again! Kina jina?"

She gave no response, just her heavy breaths and her legs shaking.

He didn't like that, so, he grabbed her chin up to meet his eyes and released her when he did just that.

In a firmer voice, eyes red and scaring the crap out of her, he repeated. "Don't speak to me like that again or else, zan sake ki and you're never going to see these kids and I'm going to find Laila and send her to her husband and make sure they all cut ties with you. A fami?"

The first set of waterworks glided from her left eye down her brown skin as she nodded and answered with a trembling voice and lips. "Y-yes. Mi fami. (I understand.)"

He pulled back, straightening and smacking his hand over his face, his other rested on his waist.

Subsequently, a cry that was kept abay so hard made it out. Then it was 2. And then more came as the woman buried her face into her palms and cried her anguish out.

***

"Where are you, Laila?"

Laila scoffed, taking large gulps of whatever before shaking her head. "I think it's best if we keep the location hidden for now...unless you want daddy suspecting anything and forcing information out of you."