16. How to run from the mess you made.

Laila rose from the rear of the bus and spread her arms out to stretch her numb limbs.

6 and a half good hours. God damn.

With wobbly legs that almost had her on the floor surrounded by people, she dragged herself to the less empty side of the bus station to a bench under a tree.

She took note of the time; 3:54 pm. She needed a hotel, food, charger, and clothes. She sighed, calculating the amount of money she had left. It wouldn't be enough.

Laila did a long press on the phone in her palm until it lighted up. When the server cleared out, she wasted no time dialing the only person's number who could help her. Who would help her.

As if her call was anticipated, it got picked after the first ring.

She let out a loud breath of relief.

"We'll do greetings later, Shehu. I need you to—"

"Thank God! I've been calling—"

"Send me money—"

"—You need to come home right now!"

The duo intercepted each other.

Laila's mouth twisted, her head going back in dissentment. She shook her head, lifting her eyes to the tree. "I am not coming home right now."

"Look, Laila. I am not joking. You need to come home."

Ahh ahh. "I said i am not—"

"You need to come home, Halima. Bazan sake gaya miki ba!" Laila blinked in astonishment, his roar coming in loud and clear. Why the hell was he shouting?

"Wha-why? Why are you being loud?"

"Why won't i be loud when because of you, Daddy divorced Mami and you don't care! You switched off yo—"

"Daddy divorced Mami?" Laila was on her feet at once. Ridiculously, she dared to ask, "Why?"

"WHY? Kina tambaya ta why? Sena gaya miki?"

She went silent at that.

Her legs found a rhythm as she started to pace back and forth, her heart beat loud and a sick feeling settling in the pit of her stomach. She came to an abrupt stop and rose a palm to land a smack square on her face. Under her breath, she chanted. "No. No. No. Haba Daddy."

"Eh. So, wherever you are now, ki sake komi and come home. Kina jina?"

She nodded, mind already made up but with a few lingering questions.

"When did it happen?"

She heard a sigh, "He divorced her yesterday night, she said."

"Where is she—" The call ended.

Squinting her eyes as she dialed the number again, she wondered mistakenly cut the call.

The sound of the annoying woman telling her she had no credit for a phone call had her hissing and kicking the bench which had her tumbling and wincing in pain. "Son of a bitch!" She stomped her un-injured leg on the floor until the pain in the other one subsided just in time for Shehu's call.

"Why'd you end the call?"

"I ran out of credit."

"I'll send you some..." she nodded as she benched again and dipped her fingers into her mouth, sucking and biting. "But I'm not joking Laila, you need to come—"

"Ai ta faru ta qare. I must. Aka yiwa dan human right ma auren dole balle ni yer sarakuna. Where is Mami?"

"Ta koma gidansu."