Chapter Twenty Three

ANNA GLARED UP at Yelena from her kneeling position as Yelena circled her. Anna clenched her jaw as anger bubbled in her blood.

"You let... him go?" Yelena spat, ceasing her circling in front of Anna.

"I wasn't going to let you kill him," she defended. Her head swung to the right as pain exploded in her left cheek. She gritted her teeth, feeling them vibrate in her mouth, and her face stung.

That wasn't your decision to make!" Yelena shouted. "Instead of sacrificing one man, you've now doomed us all!"

Anna balled her hands into fists and pressed them against the dirt ground, trying to keep her anger in check. With the spears pointed at her back, she was sure they wouldn't hesitate to kill her if she struck out against one of their leaders.

"Yelena! What is the meaning of this!" Papa stormed into the hut, his face reddened.

"She released Kristoff!" Yelena jabbed a finger on Papa's chest. "She's your daughter. You were responsible for her! Now, look what she's done!"

"I wasn't the one who allowed her to see the boy." Papa narrowed his eyes. "Release her. Now!"

"We will do no such thing!" Yelena argued. "You are in my village, Agnarr. You have no say over these matters."

Papa stalked closer, his voice low but stern. "Anna is my daughter, as you said." He leaned in, inches away from Yelena's face. "You kill her, lay one finger on her, and you will have all of Arendelle to answer to. Because believe me, when we make it out of here, and we will make it out, I will come back with every soldier I can find for miles until there is not a single Northuldra left standing. Do I make myself clear?"  

Yelena let out a frustrated huff before turning to the two men with spears at Anna's back. "Let her go."

The men gripped Anna under her arms and yanked her to her feet. Anna staggered from the pain that rippled through her side, but caught her bearing.

"Good," Papa said. "I'm glad we have an understanding." He glared at Anna and gestured with his head towards the door.

Anna swallowed, knowing what he was saying. She shuffled towards the door, her head ducked low. Once outside, she crossed her arms and waited. She knew her father was going to be furious with her, but when was he ever not? No matter what she did, it was never the right thing.

After several minutes, Yelena and the other two men emerged from the hut. The leader narrowed her eyes at Anna as she passed by, but held her head high and folded her hands behind her back as she marched off.

A shadow loomed over Anna from the side, blocking the moonlight. She felt the color drain from her face as she slowly turned to find Papa's angry face staring down at her. She felt two feet tall at that moment.

"Papa, I can explain," she started.

"I don't want to hear it, Anna." Papa held up a hand, silencing her. "Do you have any idea what you've done?"

Anna furrowed her brow and stood tall, defending her actions. "I set a man free from being wrongfully condemned," she explained. "Isn't that what you would've done? Saved someone who didn't deserve to die?"

Papa huffed and maneuvered around Anna, his back now facing her. "This isn't about what I would've done, Anna. The Northuldra aren't a part of Arendelle. What happens in their village, we have no say over." He swirled on the balls of his feet to face her. "We have no idea what they've had to deal with for the past several years. They've been trapped in this forest under the attack of angered spirits. What they decide is best for their village is up to them."