Chapter One

THE SUN BEGAN to peak the edge of the water in the distance as it rose, its vibrant colors shining on the kingdom. The townspeople gathered around below waiting for the doors to be opened. Today was the festival in which to commemorate King Agnarr's twenty-third year as king. People from all over the kingdoms were coming for entertainment purposes. Today was going to be a joyous day filled with celebration. At least, for some people.

Elsa watched from her bedroom balcony as the people wandered the streets, rushing around making sure everything was perfect for tonight. She sighed and lowered her head. She hated the thought of attending the party.

Things had changed since Anna lost her memory when they were children. Her little sister had finally remembered her family after years, but she had forgotten one of the most important things. Elsa's magic. Elsa couldn't even be herself around her sister anymore. For years she's had to hide who she was and it left a pit feeling in her stomach every time she thought about it. She wanted to stay in her room today, hidden from the outside world, but Anna was dead set on making her attend.

She jumped as a crash sounded from the hallway pulling her from her thoughts. Wheeling her head around, she watched as her younger sister, Anna, stumbled into the girls chamber, plucking what looked like a spring from her hair.

"I crashed my bike again," she said blushing while giving a goofy smile.

Elsa giggled before turning back toward the town. She closed her eyes and breathed in the morning sky.

"Aren't you getting ready for the party?" came her sister's voice. "I mean, I know it's still hours away, but you know how mother gets. Anyway, hundreds of people will be there tonight."

Elsa snickered. "I don't know why we have to go to these silly parties anyway. We don't do anything. I've never been much of a dancer, and you know I don't like talking to people." She sighed. "Honestly, I wish sometimes I could talk to people as easily as you could. You're so open with them."

She placed her hands on the stone fence of their balcony and sighed again, this time heavier. She wished Mama wouldn't force her to be present at these things. She didn't fit in.

Something cold pricked her fingertips. She looked down as the stone beneath her palms started to frost over. "Oh, come on, Elsa!" She gasped and withdrew her hands, turning her back against the frost before Anna could see what she had done.

Elsa smiled nervously. It had been thirteen years since the accident, and Anna had remembered everything she had forgotten except for Elsa's gift. Anna used to be the only one she could share her magic with, share how alone she felt, but now... her only friend didn't even know who she was.

Anna cocked her head. "Is everything okay? You've been acting kinda weird lately."

Elsa straightened her back and made sure her hair was neatly in place. She wasn't alright, but how could she explain that to her sister? Should she just show her her magic and pray she remembered all their adventures together in the Grand Hall? She wished she could, but Mama and Papa made her swear years ago that she would never show Anna.

A sound in the far distance jolted her from her thoughts; a strange tune or a voice even. She turned around expecting to see someone calling for her, perhaps from the town square, but she found no one. She listened closely, yet the voice never called again.

Clearing her throat she turned back to her sister. "I do believe you need to finish getting dressed." She giggled as her eyes ventured to a small hole near her sister's hem. "Your skirt has a tear in it."

Anna twirled around trying to find the tear in her new green dress. "There better not be a tear! I just bought this!" Elsa shook her head as she helped Anna find the hole. Anna gripped the hem in her fist and grunted. "Oh, well. Guess I better find another dress, huh?"