Chapter Twenty Six

ELSA GAWKED AT the man in front of her holding her mother. She balled her hands into fists and felt her power on her fingertips, her hands glowing blue as condensation poured off them.

Hans pushed his dagger deeper on Mama's neck, and Mama grimaced as a small trickle of blood raced down her skin. "Try anything and Iduna here won't be around to see you fulfill your role as the fifth spirit," Hans spat.

Elsa relaxed her hands. "What are you doing here, Hans? How'd you even get here?"

Hans smiled. "Well now, there was four boats on the island." She shoved Mama forward as he walked closer to Elsa.

Elsa swallowed the lump in her throat. One wrong move and he would end mothers life. She couldn't risk attacking him. "You were on our boat in the Dark Sea. I remember hearing your voice. You saved me. Why?"

"Well, that's not entirely true. I simply just shouted for bandages. I let everyone else do the actual work." He chuckled. "I will say though. I'm glad you didn't die because that would've made my job a lot harder."

Elsa took a step forward. "What are you talking about?"

Hans's smile returned. "You see, I've known about Ahtohallan and the Enchanted Woods for some time. I could just never gather enough men for a crew to get here. They were all cowards." He pulled Mama closer against his body and she gritted her teeth. "But look at my surprise when I discovered where the King and Queen of Arendelle were headed."

"How?" Mama squeezed out.

He laughed. "Might want to be more careful with whom you allow to listen in on your conversations, Iduna. A maid servant is very easy to persuade with the right amount of gold."

Elsa grunted as she stepped forward, her hands itching to end this man.

"Ah, ah, ah!" Hans raised his elbow, repositioning the dagger. "One more step and mommy dearest here dies."

"Why did you want to come to Ahtohallan?" Elsa continued. "You would've died trying to get here."

"But that's why I needed you," he explained. "The true fifth spirit. Only you could get me in here."

She clenched her jaw. "I don't understand how you got here in the first place. Aloni or the Nokk would've tried to stop you."

"Oh, they did," he laughed. "But thankfully, Aloni must've come back to deal with you once you broke through the barrier."

Elsa glanced from Aloni's unconscious body back to Hans. "What do you want?"

He removed his dagger off Mama's neck for a split second, but continued to hold her tight. He aimed the tip of the dagger at Elsa. "I want what you hold in your hand."

She glanced down to find that she was still clenching the now-small-crystal in her grasp. He wanted the fifth spirits element. "Why?" she asked, looking back up at him.

He smirked. "Because it'll complete my set." Elsa gave him a confused look. "Come on, Elsa. Surely you don't believe all the elements would be locked away somewhere in the Enchanted Woods, do you? I traveled the world collecting the other four elements, and when I finally learned where the fifth one was, I also learned that it had been locked away by the current fifth spirit that only the true fifth spirit could obtain.." He glanced down at Aloni. "But you never thought there would be one." He chuckled, looking back up at Elsa. "There hasn't been for centuries. And luckily for me, she was born in my generation"

"You know an awful lot about the fifth spirit," Mama said, tugging on his arm.

He shrugged. "Let's just say I became very involved with learning about the spirits after finding the first one."