Chapter Nineteen

ANNA STARED AT the dam off in the distance. The sky was painted in pinks and oranges as the sun began to descend, lighting up the water that the dam held back.

She heaved a sigh, her chest squeezing. She had to come up with a way to save the spirits without destroying the dam. She couldn't bear to lose Arendelle, and if the people didn't see the wave of water until it was right on the kingdom, they would perish. Anna would never live with herself if she returned to her kingdom and found her people dead. That is, if she was ever going to be free of this cursed forest.

She glanced down at her left hand, staring at the spot where a diamond ring would soon rest. Hans was back in Arendelle. If they took out the dam, Hans could possibly die too. Especially, since she left the kingdom in his charge. She knew he was a noble man and wouldn't leave the kingdom without knowing everyone was out and safe. By then, it could be too late for him to retreat into the mountain before the water washed the kingdom away.

"You look deep in thought."    

Anna turned her head as Olaf plopped down beside her, his snowball feet hanging over the edge of the cliff along with her legs. She grinned. "Just thinking of Arendelle. Trying to come up with a way to save it."

Olaf furrowed his brow. "Save Arendelle from what?"

Her shoulders slumped as she folded her hands in her lap. "Papa thinks the spirits are angry, and that the dam is what's keeping their source of power at bay," she summarized. "He wants to destroy it, but Arendelle will be wiped out in the process."

"Oh," Olaf frowned. "That wouldn't be good." He tapped his head with his stick fingers. "If I'm remembering correctly, it was Aloni who went to the Arendelle King, I guess that would be your grandfather, asking him to build them a dam."

Anna's eyes popped open as she twisted back around to face him. "What are you talking about? Who's Aloni?"

"The current fifth spirit," Olaf explained.

Anna's jaw dropped. "The fifth spirit asked my grandfather to build them a dam? But why? Wouldn't she know it would cut off their source?"

Olaf laughed. "Of course, she did! She's evil. She wants all the power for herself. The less amount of power the other four spirits had, the more power she'd possess."

Anna cocked a brow. "Olaf, how do you know all this?"

He looked at her with a smile. "Remember that whole 'water has memory' thing?" He leaned back, resting his hands against the ground popping himself up. "The very first fifth spirit created me. I was alive at the time Aloni turned dark." He frowned. "But... she eventually told me she didn't need me anymore and... melted me away, sending me into the Dark Sea." He shrugged. "I got my memories back when Elsa recreated me from the water in the mud that must've come from the sea."

"What is he doing here?"

Anna twisted her head around to find Kristoff march up behind her. He jabbed a finger at Olaf. "Anna, you need to be as far away from Olaf as possible."

Anna furrowed her brow as she staggered to her feet, a hand over the bandage in her side as it burned. "Kristoff, what is it?"

Kristoff's eyes narrowed at Olaf. "Everyone knows that the "talking snowman" works for the fifth spirit. He's supposed to help guide that person through their year, keeping them from touching the darkness." He clenched his hands into fists. "He was there when Aloni cast her curse on me and the forest and he did nothing to stop it! He just let her turn dark!" His gaze moved to her. "He's a bad guy. You don't want to be anywhere near him."

Olaf cowered behind Anna's boot. "I tried to stop her!" he protested. "She was too strong and too far gone. Nothing I said would've made her change her mind."