Chapter Four

ANNA STORMED THROUGH the empty corridors towards her bedroom. The party had ended almost an hour ago, and Hans had gone back to one of the inns for the night after spending the last couple hours with her out on the town.

Her brow furrowed into a frown as anger coursed through her veins. How could Papa say no? Hans was her only chance of romance, and Papa said no? She gritted her teeth. Perhaps Mama could change his mind. Maybe even Elsa could speak with him. Tell him how unreasonable he's being.

Her frown slowly turned upward into a smile. Papa favored Elsa; it was no secret. She understood why with her sister being the oldest. Someone had to teach her how to rule as queen when he was gone. Yes! If Elsa would just talk to him then he would for sure give them his blessing!

Anna quickened her pace. Her chances of marrying Hans growing brighter with each step. Reaching the bedroom she shared with her sister, she rapped on the door playfully before entering.

"Elsa!" she began. "Guess what?" She entered the bedroom and found Elsa standing on their balcony with Mama's maroon shawl wrapped around her shoulders, looking out over the city. She was already in her maroon night dress. Anna's smile rapidly turned to a frown.

She quietly put on her green night dress and took out the pens that wrapped her braids in a bun until her two braids rested against her shoulders. "Elsa, is everything all right?"

Elsa lowered her head.

Anna knew what was going on. The weight of being queen for two weeks in their father's place was a heavy load on her shoulders. Even though she was the oldest, Elsa never wanted to be queen.

"I bet you're worried about being left alone for two weeks," Anna continued, softly. "Don't worry. You'll be the best queen we've ever had!" She approached her sister hoping to cheer her up. "And it's only for two weeks. What could go wrong?"

Anna reached out to place a comforting hand on Elsa's shoulder, but Elsa stepped to the side before she could lay her hand down. Anna was taken back by her sister's actions. "Elsa, what is it?"

Elsa gripped the edges of the shaw and drew it in closer to her body. She huffed as her brow creased. Unexpectedly, she flung her body to the left to face Anna. "Why, Anna?" Elsa's shout sounded heart broken. "Are you really wanting to marry a man who I don't even know? You're willing to just walk away from me and go off to the Southern Isles and live with him? You're willing to leave me behind?"

Anna gave her sister a puzzled look. "Is that what you're worried about? Elsa, we plan on living here, but even if he did take me back to the Southern Isles, we would still keep in touch." She tried to keep her voice calm, but she couldn't believe what Elsa was saying. She would never do anything to hurt her sister.

Elsa jabbed a finger at her chest, and Anna thought she could see tears forming. "But you're leaving me! Even by living here, you'll be too busy being his wife then being my sister. I can't lose you, Anna! I can't!" She lowered her head, and folded her hands in front of her, her voice lowering to a whisper. "I'll be left here all by myself."

Anna let out a sigh trying to comfort her sister. "Elsa, you won't be by yourself." She reached out and wrapped her arms around her sister. She buried her head in Elsa's neck, and Elsa returned the embrace. "We will always be together. Even if we have to move to the Southern Isles, I will come back. I'll never leave you. In the meantime, you'll have Mama and Papa. You'll never have to be alone."

Elsa snorted. "But Mama and Papa aren't you, Anna! No one can replace you!" She gripped Anna's hand and held them in hers.

Anna flinched at how cold Elsa's hands felt against her warm skin.