Chapter Twenty Five

ANNA STROLLED THROUGH the forest, running a hand along the bushes she passed. The tips of her fingers danced with fire, igniting the leaves as she walked by.

She clenched her free hand into a fist. She wanted nothing more than to see her father dead, and that dam remain in place. Not for the sake of Arendelle — she found herself caring less and less about what happened to the people — but because she loved the power she felt. She felt strong and unstoppable.

Is this what Aloni felt like? Is this why she wanted Arendelle's King to build the dam? Anna looked down at her palms as they burst to life with fire. Because Aloni wanted all the power? Anna lowered her hands as a smile grew on her face.

With Aloni's help, they could bring the Northuldra to their knees, overpower the other four spirits, but why stop there? They could be free from this place. Aloni could lift her curse and they could take over Arendelle and the other kingdoms. They could be the new rulers.

"Anna!"

She twisted herself around, gazing into the fire she had created. Someone lunged at her and shoved her out of the way. At the same time, a branch snapped off one of the trees above her.

Pushing herself up onto her elbows, she squinted to peer into the smoke. In the fire, under the thick branch, she found her rescuer. "Kristoff?" She stood and stepped back over to him.

Kristoff grunted as he tried pushing up on the ground. The branch on his back burst to life with flames and it would eventually burn him if he wasn't set free. "Anna!" He extended his hand. "Help me! Quick!"

Anna crouched down, an eyebrow raised in a thinking matter. "Hmm..." She tapped her chin. "I think twice is enough."

His hand slapped the ground as he looked at her confused. "What?"

She shrugged as she stood up straight. "Twice is enough." She placed her hands on her hips. "I saved you from your curse and from being killed by your people."

"And I just saved you from being crushed!" Kristoff shot back, slamming a fist into the ground.

Anna raised her pointer finger. "Did you really though?" She swirled her finger and a circle and a miniature tornado spun on the tip. "I could've easily kept it from hitting me."

Kristoff's eyes widened. "Anna, what happened to you? Just hours ago, you risked your life to free me."

She turned her back on him and smiled. "Something magnificent."

Kristoff yelped, no doubt from the fire that was by now starting to lick at his skin. "Anna, please. I don't know what's happened to you, but you have to fight it! Whoever or whatever has gotten power over you... fight it!"

She chuckled. "And why would I do that?" She turned back around to find Kristoff grimacing and digging his nails into the dirt. "I like the power."

He shook his head, tears gleaming in his eyes, but whether it was from the pain of the fire or from something else, she didn't know. "That's the same thing Aloni said," he said, softly. "She gave into the darkness because she liked it. We all like the darkness! But it takes being the stronger man to not give in."

Anna stared at him for a good minute. He was right. Giving into the darkness... It was weak. But she still couldn't change the fact that it made her feel so good. Her thoughts were brought back as he started shouting and gritting his teeth. She held her head up high. "Well, I'm not a man, now am I?" She turned and stormed off.

"Anna!" Kristoff cried. "You can't leave me here! Please!"

But she didn't listen to his plea. She continued on her march away from him and the burning forest.