Chapter 19

"Morning, Mom!"

You almost had to force the words out of your mouth. It was weird, remembering your past life but having to call someone else your parent.

Heather smiled at you, sipping from a steaming mug of coffee. "You're in a good mood today. Good morning, June-bug."

"Yesterday was pretty fun, I guess I'm still reeling on that. What's on the agenda for today?"

"Well, I have to work. You can go off and do whatever you want. Help yourself to whatever's in the fridge for breakfast, but remember your allergies."

You threw open the door, your eyes scanning the food. "What are they? Sorry, I... guess I don't have my whole memory back."

"Peanut butter and most fruits."

You slammed the door, spinning to face her. "Fruit? How?"

"I don't know, hun. It might be the citrus, or the seeds, but we can't figure it out. You've always been allergic to them."

"That ruins my whole plan!" She gave you a look, and you backpedaled. "I... wanted to go berry-picking with some people I met at the Shack yesterday."

"Sorry, but it's not gonna happen." She checked her watch and stood up, rinsing out her mug. "Well, I have to go. Be safe, June." She kissed your forehead before walking out.

You huffed in annoyance, sitting down at the kitchen table. There was a sound next to you, then a voice. "Aw, June, what's wrong?"

You turned, looking at Bill. "Nothing. Just upset that my plans are ruined for the day."

"Aw, I'm sorry, Summer Seed!" You cocked your head at him, and he stuttered. "I-I mean, I give all of my friends weird nicknames. Dipper is Pine Tree, Mabel is Shooting Star, and so on. I figured I should call you something along the lines of Summer, since your name is a summer month."

"No, it's fine. I kind of like it."

"Good, because it's staying." He made his way to the refrigerator, opening it. He stood still for a moment, thinking to himself before spinning back to you. "Hey, do you want some berries? There's some wild ones growing in the forest that are absolutely to die for."

You smiled. "Thanks but no thanks. Apparently I'm allergic."

Bill dropped his smile. "Oh. I thought you could be her."

"Who?"

"My... Celestia. She appeared last night. Told me "she really liked berries" as a hint to who she is now. It's going to be so hard trying to find her with that hint."

You giggled. "Maybe it wasn't a physical hint? Maybe it was to point you to something like a name or a town?"

"Huh. Maybe. Why didn't I think of that?"

"Because you're an idiot." The doorbell rang, and you stood to get it before he could reply.

You opened the door, and the man from last night stood in front of you. He had a strange smile on his face that never faltered. He gave a slight bow. "June Thornberry, it's great to see you up and about. I'm Tad Strange, your neighbor. Your mother asked for me to check up on you throughout the day, to make sure you were doing okay."

"Well, okay. You're-"

"A tad strange? I get that a lot."

Bill came up from the kitchen. "Hey, Summer Seed! What are you-" He stopped short, his grin turning into a snarl as he registered the man in the doorway. "Zuku."

The man did the same. "Pharos." He turned to you. "Dear June, would you mind inviting me in to take care of a little pest problem?"

"Oh, I'll show you who's a pest-"

"No fighting!" You screamed. They both turned to you with wide eyes. "This is my house, and this is peaceful territory. You two can fight later, but while you're under my roof, not even snarky remarks will be made. Got it?"

The two glared at each other for a moment before eventually relaxing. "Yes, June." They both muttered.

"Good. I'm going to eat breakfast, and you two are going to join me at the table and we are going to talk through this."

"But-" They both tried saying.

"No buts! Get in the kitchen, now. Both of you." They glanced at you before sulkingly walking to the kitchen. You smirked to yourself. Power over two men, I could get used to it.

Your smirk fell as you thought more on it. I know why Bill is listening- because he loves me, although he doesn't know it's me. But... why does Zuku listen?