I'm Sorry

Evelyn's POV

"How's your spell-casting journey shaping up?" Jared inquired. "Ha ha ha ha ha... let me tell you, I'm deep in the struggle. Everything's a mystical blur," I chuckled, faceplanting on the table.

"Huh! What do you mean? Didn't your mother tell you anything?" Sam asked, and I smiled sadly. "Yeah... heard she's centuries old," Added Embry.

I grabbed another muffin and took a bite. "Nope, not a single thing. I don't know how witches are born. Don't know why my mother lost all her rights as soon as I got mine," I replied.

"What about your duties?" Emily questioned, and I looked shocked. "I have... duties...?!" I asked, pointing at myself. "Ha! Of course! Don't you know?" teased Paul.

"Nope, I just became one last month. I'm still reading stuff about it," I said. "Ah... you don't have anyone to guide... like us," Paul sympathized, and I nodded.

"So, what are my duties?" I asked, grabbing another muffin. "Hey! Save some for Jacob!" Embry interjected, and I huffed. "Let him starve!" I scoffed and munched on it. 

"So, what is it?" I asked again.

"Keeping peace between the wolves and the vampires!" Embry snarled, and I chuckled. "Maintaining the balance of the nature," Added Jared, and I groaned.

"I believe I need to work out in that area..." I said, and he chuckled. "Blessing the land, I believe," said Sam. "That's all?" I asked, and they nodded.

"Seriously, am I the only one left in the dark about my own life?" I questioned, sparking laughter. "Billy says some stories during meetings," Paul casually replied. Just then, Bella and Jacob returned.

I stood up, having finished my muffin and drained my juice. "Bella, you done?" I asked, and she nodded. "Well then, guys, I'll see you later," I said about to make my exit.

"Come on, let's go back," I said, pointedly ignoring Jacob as I walked away. "Evie..." he called, grabbing my wrist to stop me. "Let me go!" I said sternly, pulling my hands away from him.

"Hey, Listen to me....." He urged. "Can't you hear me?!!" I retorted, about to leave. However, he held onto my hands, stopping me. "Tsk! What do you want?!" I demanded, annoyed, and his face twisted in pain.

"Ohhh..." the others chimed in with playful teasing. "Will you say something?!" I pressed sternly. "I'm sorry," Jacob finally replied. "Okay, are you done?" I asked coldly, pulling away.

"Eve! I know what I did was wrong..." he apologized sadly. I glanced at his face and couldn't help but calm down. 'As if I could ever be angry at this cutie!'

"Doesn't matter, you already broke my heart," I declared, clutching my dress at my chest. "I'm breaking up with you! I... I... I already have a new boyfriend!!"

I went to Paul, hugging his head. "This is my new mate," I announced, and he joined in, hugging me by my waist. "Stay away from my girl!" Paul warned, playing along with the charade.

"Will you stop that bullshit already?! God! I was really worried sick!!" Jacob exclaimed, frustration evident as he pulled at his hair. 

"You think I'm joking?!" I asked angrily, and thunder shook, startling all of us, including myself. 'Calm down, Evelyn. Calm down. Inner peace. Inner peace. Inner peace. Inner peace.'

 I silently repeated, attempting to restore calm amid the brewing storm both inside and out.

"Evie, I transformed into a wolf! You were literally freaking out when looked at us first. I believed staying away was the safest course." He appeared genuinely regretful.