--ᴛʜᴇ ꜰʟᴇᴀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀᴄʀᴏʙᴀᴛ--

"What was Will saying?" Mike thinks out loud. "Like home... Like home... but dark?"

Nine sighs tiredly, looking down at eleven from underneath him to check on her. Eleven was laying on Mike's couch, with nine laying on top, on her back.

Lucas thinks, "And empty." Lucas adds to Mike's guess.

Dustin looks up at everyone, "empty and cold.. wait did he say cold?" Dustin asks looking towards Lucas.

Lucas exhales impatiently, "I don't know. The stupid radio kept going in and out." Lucas complains.

Dustin sigh's dramatically, "it's like riddle in the dark." Dustin says throwing his bead back in exhaustion.

Mike paces around, "like home.. like his house?" Mike turns around roughly, looking at everyone.

Lucas looks at him, "Or maybe like Hawkins."

"Upside down." Eleven says softly, making nine jump slightly due to him falling asleep on eleven's back.

Lucas looks at eleven, "what'd she say?" Lucas asks mike and Dustin who look at eleven.

"Upside down." Mike repeats, slowly starting to understand what eleven and nine have been trying to tell them for a while now.

"What?"

"Upside down!" Mike says louder, walking towards his small table with the upside down board game.

"When nine and el showed us where Will was, nine flipped the board over, remember?" Mike says, flipping the board over to the correct side.

Mike looks at Dustin and Lucas who are now around him, Mike then flips game board upside down again. "Upside down."

"Dark, Empty." Mike adds on, looking at Lucas and Dustin who look at eachother in confusion.

"Do you understand what he's talking about?" Lucas asks Dustin, who looks between Him and Mike.

"No." Dustin says with a straight face, looking at Mike who rolls his eyes.

"Guys come on just think about it. When el and nine took us to find Will, they took us to his house right?" Mike says looking between Lucas and Dustin.

"Yeah. And he wasn't there." Lucas says sassily.

Nine rolls his eyes and clicked his tongue, blocking out the three boys he closes his eyes quickly falling asleep.

Mike stares at Lucas for a moment, "But what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him." Mike points at the upside down board, "what if he was on the other side."

Lucas and Dustin look at each other, thinking about what Mike was saying.

Mike flips the board over to the correct side, "what if this is Hawkins and..." Mike flips the board upside down again, "This is where Will is, The upside down."

Dustin and Lucas look at the dark, empty side of the game board for a second.

"Like the Vale of shadows." Dustin says, his eyes widening.

Dustin gets out of his seat to find something, after a while he sits back down on the table with a book of dungeons and dragons, immediately turning to the page about the vale of shadows.

"The Vale of shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world." Dustin reads, looking up at Mike and Lucas who look at him with a fearful face.

"It is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase. A place of monsters." Dustin continues to read carefully. "It is right next to you and you don't even see it."