Chapter 7: Mine

I sat in the library reading with my legs curled up underneath me in a chair. I was completely enthralled in my book and didn't hear anyone enter the room.

Kaden startled me when he asked, "Have you thought about what we talked about?"

I jumped. "Yes, I have."

He looked at me anxiously . When I didn't respond he asked, " And?"

With a sigh I close the book I'm reading. I'd managed to avoid this conversation for most of the day hiding in here, but I knew it had to happen eventually. "I have concerns." I stated setting the book down shifting in my seat to face him.

" Okay, what are your concerns?"

"First, I need to know why you don't want a real relationship. Second, I'm a Monogamous person I don't share. Third, what if I end up developing feelings for you?" I say listing my concerns off to him not wanting to let slip that I already had feelings for him.

" Valid concerns." He responded. " First, because I'm not quite ready. Second, I too am monogamous and protective. Third, if that happens we will deal with it then." I shake my head. Nope I'm not satisfied with his ancwers.

"And what about honestly?" I asked pushing him. " If you cannot be straight with me now, I do not think it would work." I simply stated. I grabbed my book and moved to leave and he stopped me by placing a hand on my arm.

" You're right. I'm sorry." He says, "Please, stay so we can be honest with each other." I raise an eyebrow before sitting back down, staying silent giving him the floor to continue. He starts to pace. " I was engaged, and 11 months ago we got into a car accident. She didn't have her belt on, and was flung from the car." He started. I sat patently letting him get it all out. He stopped and looked me dead in the eye. His eyes full of regret and sorrow. "She survived, but never woke up from the coma. I was not ready to start another relationship because in my eyes she's still alive despite the machines breathing for her. I could never pull the plug." He said. "As for feelings for you... Kali, I already care about you so much. But I'm afraid that if I love you, I'll lose you too." He finished as a stray tear fell from his eye. I stood pulling him into a hug, rubbing the back of his head as he cried on my shoulder. " I feel like moving on would be a slap to her memory." He said wiping his eyes on his sleeve.

"I can understand your thoughts. Although I have never gone through that." I say calmly, " Do you visit her?" I can't help to ask.

He nods, "Every Sunday."

I smile, "If she's anywhere near as amazing as you, she'd want you to do what makes you feel happy. If that's maintaining the fake relationship vs moving into a new one, I'll support that decision. But I don't want to start a relationship with you before you are ready." I confirm with him.

"You are too perfect you know that. Any other women would throw themselves at the chance to take advantage, and you..."

" I'm not like other women. I care about Kaden, not the rich CFO everyone else sees." I inform him. " I think, it's now your turn to think about it." I say, turning and walking out of the library.

When I enter my room I ring down to let the staff know I was taking my meal in my room. And settled on the bench by the window to read my book. I look out the window to see a tiny red dot disappear down the driveway.

                                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Kaden POV

After the discussion with Kali it crossed my mind that I hadn't been to see Roslyn today. So I grab my key and head out the door.  I drive down the highway thinking over mine and Kali's conversation. She is worried about falling for me, I'm afraid to open up more than I did about my feelings and attraction to her. I remember her first day at the office. She was so eager and attentive. I knew she was an amazing woman then. I always watched from afar, kept my distance. To protect her... Or so I'd thought at the time. Now I realize the only person that I was trying to protect was myself.

I would never be okay with pulling the plug on Roslyn's life support, but am I willing or able to move on from our relationship? Images of our times together flashes through my mind, her breathtaking smile, and dark brown eyes. I tried to recall how I feel about her.  But everytime I thought about if I loved her images of Kali flashed through my mind.  I'd neglected my visits to Roslyn, but I didn't tell Kali that.

I pulled into the familiar hospital parking lot. With a deep breath and a heavy sigh I walked into the hospital. On the third floor was the woman I had once wanted to spend my life with. It's been a long rough year, since the accident. Memories flashes through my mind quickly of the drunk driver crossing the median and her scream,the glass and crunch of metal before the silence. I shuddered as I stepped off the elevator.

"Welcome back Mr.King." The nurse greeted me.

"Thank you." I say, " Any change?" I ask with no hope on my voice.

With a solemn look she shook her head no. It used to gut punch me when they told me that. However, this time I was able to accept it. I walked into the room that Roslyn laid in. It still stung to see the machines hooked up to her, and knowing that it was all my fault she was here. I sit beside her, " Hello Roe." I said calling her the pet name I had for her.

"I'm sorry that I haven't been to visit sooner. This month has been busy." I said recounting the events of the month. " Amanda is still at the office, but dispite her being your best friend I'm not sure I can continue to employ her as she's a terrible bully. It also came to my attention that she's been overcharging for her decor work and has scammed me out of millions." I inform her. I was silent for a moment, looking at her face. I didn't feel the pull anymore, but she was still my best friend so I continued. " I met someone Roe. Her name is Kali. I think that if you woke up you'd be good friends, but I'm afraid. I'm afraid to build a relationship with her, and you wake up and then I wouldn't be able to love her. No one can replace you Roe, I miss you everyday still." I say holding her hand.

"She'd want you to move on." Came a deep voice behind me that belonged to my almost father-in-law.

I look up at him, " Hello Richard."

"I mean that, Kaden. It's been 11 months almost a year. She would want you to be happy, and to move on." He said confirming the words Kali told him earlier today.  Richard sat across from me looking down at his only daughter. " She's still here I'd like to think, and we never know. Maybe someday she'll wake up, but you can't stop living waiting for her to wake up. You've grieved the loss of her love, and if you're falling for someone else then you need to give your heart to that women. You deserve to be happy, this wasn't your fault." He said gently. 

I run my hands through tussled hair. "Do you think she could ever forgive me?" I ask fearful of the ancwers.

" C'mon, Kaden, you know her better than that. You tell me."

" I think it would possibly hurt a little when she wakes up, but she'd forgive me. She always surprised me tho." I say after a moment of thought.

"Exactly, now Kaden, can you forgive yourself." Richard wisely asked.

I look at him shocked. I'd never considered that I needed to forgive myself. I think about it then respond, " With time, I'm sure I can."

Richard grinned. "Good! Now tell me about this woman who has captured your heart."

I go into detail about Kali, telling Richard about her looks, her temperament, and the joy she brings me. He sits back and listens completely content to hear the story. "She knows, about Roe I mean."

Richards eyebrows shot up in surprise, " When she found out what did she say?" He asked.

I then explained the conversation that we'd had, that led me to come here looking for answers. I explained my concerns, and Kali's. At the end I sigh heavily, feeling much lighter after having someone to talk to about my predicament.

" And? How do you feel now?" Richard asked.

"I'm ready to move on, I will always love Roe, but I have to be true to myself too." I finally concluded.

"Atta boy! Does Kali know how you feel?" I shake my head no. He responds, " Then what are you doing here?" He asked.

After saying my good byes I left the hospital to head home to Kali. She is my new future, and my current. I want her, and I want the world to know... She is MINE.