15. wedding planning

It has been three months since our engagement and the wedding planning was coming along beautifully. We have agreed on just about everything. Our colors are burgundy, navy blue with touches of silver and greenery from plants. The ladies are going to be wearing burgundy dresses and the men are donning Navy suits. Our cake is going to look like a birch tree with our initials carved into it, my flowers are going to be navy blue silk roses, with eucalyptus and baby's breath. I am working on planning my dress fitting for the most beautiful dress I found.

“I can't believe the wedding is in three months.” Kaden said as he entered the small office of the house that I took over to plan our wedding.

“Time sure has flown the last year, and plus, this has got to be the easiest wedding to plan in history. We agreed on absolutely everything.” I replied, not looking up from my budget sheet. There's a discrepancy in the cost and budget and I am trying to find it. My wedding planner told me we were going to be over the budget set, but I've kept meticulous notes on the cost of each service and I am not seeing the problem.

“Baby?” Kaden asked to get my attention.

“Mhm?” I still respond by studying my notes.

“Kali.” He says, this time I look up at him.

“Im sorry, Kaden, I've just been focused on this budget for a while and still can't see what service is bleeding the money.'' I explained. 

“I understand that, and knowing you as I do, you will solve this problem. You're like a bloodhound on a fox.” he said with a chuckle. “But it's 7 pm and our dinner guests have arrived.”

“Oh, Shit!” Slips out of my mouth, I look at Kaden. “Sorry, I've just been stressed.”
“I'll forgive it this once, but once our guests leave i think you need to forget about the wedding, forget about work, forget about being an adult for a little bit.” Kaden states, “When our guests leave, you're going little.”

I smile, that's a great idea. I haven't been able to regress in ages and honestly it's been weighing on my mind, I know this is something that will help me.

“I love that idea, I definitely need it.” I responded. “Go greet our guests, I'll be out in just a moment.”

When Kaden walked out I quickly brushed my fingers through my hair and straightened my shirt. I can't help but notice a feeling in the pit of my stomach like something both bad, and good was about to happen. However, I had no reason to feel so irrational. 

With a deep breath I round the corner and approach our guests, “Richard, Linda it's wonderful to see you.” I say with a polite smile.

“Kali dear, you look beautiful as ever.” Richard says as he kisses my cheeks while Linda stays silent. Richard is understanding of why Kaden moved on from his daughter who laid in a coma for a little over a year His wife, not so much. 

“Would you like a drink before dinner?” I ask as I walk with the dinner party into the seating room.

“Yes, please, martini is dirty for me.” Richard says.

“I'll have a bourbon strait.” Kaden says.

“Martini, dry.” was Lindas curt reply.

I quickly get to work making a drink for everyone, myself excluded. The thought of drinking with this looming feeling makes me queasy. I deliver the drinks as Richard begins to question me.

“How's the wedding planning?” he starts, “Roe was in such a frenzy before the accident about the wedding she was planning. It's too much stress on brides, How are you dear?”

“Oh, the wedding all but planned itself. I am just adding finishing touches to everything and we're about done with it.” I replied, feeling a bit of pride in myself.

“She's been amazing, we both have compromised and not one argument came from the other losing their wants. She's been able to make it about both of us.” Kaden says proudly. I noticed Lindas face was growing sour. “ She's going to be a beautiful bride.”

“ Where did you get your dress? Our Roe got hers made by the most prestigious designer in LA.” Linda bragged.

“It was updated by a seamstress from my family. I am wearing the dress my mother wore.” I said. “My adoptive parents were adamant I was to use the dress, but when I saw it I fell in love, I was 16.”

Lindas face twisted into disgust as her husband answered, cutting her off, “What a wonderful way to bring your late mother into the wedding.”

“Dinners ready,” came a voice from the doorway. I turned to see my assistant in a nice slack suit.

“Thank you.” I respond as everyone stands to move into the dining room.

“Do they always let the help dress like they are among the rich they serve?” I hear Lidia question her husband.

“Lidia. Enough. “ I heard his reply.

As we sit at the table the staff serve us our meals, ratatouille.Ratatouille is a stew of zucchini, peppers, tomatoes and eggplant, with a delicious aroma of spices, onion and garlic hits our noses.

"Smells delicious," I say as I pick up my spoon.

"The wedding must be completely over budget if there's no meat. My Roe would have been able to keep it in order." Linda said no longer hiding her malice.

"Linda, that's enough. I am with Kali now, Roe wouldn't have wanted me to stop having a life or to give up on love. Stop attacking Kali because you miss your daughter." Kaden says sternly.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Linda says, feigning innocence. "Plus, Roe would have wanted you to wait for her. You two were so good with each other. "

"Linda! Enough!" Richard roars. "You do our daughter a dishonor by acting so childish. Kali truly is a great woman and you need to give her a chance."

With Richard's outbreak Linda stands and runs from the room. He turns to me, "Kali I am sorry for my wife's attitude tonight. I think it would be best if I take her home."

With that he stood to leave.

"I'll walk you out." Kaden said while standing. Just as he does Linda comes running back into the room, her phone to her ear.

"Thank you, yes thank you. We'll be on our way shortly." She says as she hangs up the phone. Tearfully she looks at us, "It's Roe, she's awake."

I feel dread as she says these words, will Kaden remain with me or would he return to his lost love?

"Well, let's go!" Richard and Kaden say together moving to leave.