The Painting

Mike's POV

It's getting dark. We all get inside the van after Jonathan buys some food for the trip. We're leaving town towards Nevada. It's gonna take a while, so I try to think of something to do. Maybe I should write a bit. I didn't bring my journal but any piece of paper can be a journal, right? Maybe Will has some.

- Hey, Will?

- Huh?

- Do you have any paper? And a pen, maybe?

- Umm, let me check.

Will has been really quiet since the last time we talked. Did I say something bad? Was I an asshole again? I take a look at what's inside the backpack he brought. The painting...

- Here. Oh. Look, I still have that agent's pen. It doesn't work tho.

- Hum. Can I see it?

- What are you gonna do?

- Just see it. Sometimes the pressure inside the pen can be too low, so no ink comes out. I'll just open it.

- Try not to break it.

- It's not like we're gonna give it back, Will. - Shoot, did I do it again? - I- I mean, I'll be careful.

I unscrew the pen in two to take out the ink chamber, but when I do, something falls out of it.

- I told you you'd break it.

-No, wait. That's not a part of the pen. There's something written there.

I unravel the piece of paper to read a phone number :

202 968 6161
Nina
Classified

-Will, look at this. I think we have a clue.

- Holy shit. That's why it was so important for that dude to get his pen back. Jonathan, have you seen any phone booths around?

- There was one a couple miles back, why?

- Turn around. We have a call to make.

--------------------//-------------//--------------------

Argyle - Little dude, are you sure that calling this number is gonna take us to super girl?

Will - It's the only option we have.

- All right then. It's uh, two-oh-two...

While Argyle reads the number off the paper, I try to come up with a plan. There's only a small chance that we'll be able to find out where El is from this call. It depends on who will speak, how we'll respond, if they will know where she is, who they're working for...

Or not. I just need to know where the call is coming from, which is where the Project is and where El is! I just need a super computer nerd. Like... Suzie!

Will - It's calling. There's... Just noises. Computer noises.

Mike - That's even better!

- What? - Will and Jonathan say at the same time.

- I have a plan. We need to go to Salt Lake City.

Jon. - What are you saying? You're not making any sense.