A Place to Call Home

Sans woke up early and checked on Papyrus. The babybones was still asleep, tucked snugly in his crib. Sans smiled lightly at his little brother. Papyrus was gonna be crawling soon, he knew, there wasn't enough space in this little apartment for a little zoomer. Sans knew well that was how Papyrus was going to he too, he was a squirmy little tike as it was. Sans was hesitant to leave him here, but he didn't want Papyrus in trouble either while he looked for the perfect place to make a home for the boy. He knew Wingdings and Grillby was going to want to come as well, therefore there was only one person he trusted Papyrus with. He left the house when Grillby and Wingdings got up. To ask the sitter to come over... or if he could bring Papyrus there. Either way worked. "What brings you to our home, my friend?" Toriel was out watering the genetically modified flowers. "i was wondering if you would watch pap for me? i was gonna go with to scout the other cave systems  with the others. i'm hoping to find a good place to settle. one that papyrus can grow up in, ya know?" The Queen smiled. "Of course I will, Sans."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Retribution was strapped to Sans side as he stared into the dark abyss that was the tunnel leading deeper into the mountain. Grillby gave off enough light to illuminate a few feet ahead of them, but that was it. Other monsters grabbed and lit torches, hoping to light more of the way and get more of a lay of the land. Sans already had his own source of light in his and his blasters magic. The first cavern opened up much like a funnel from what Sans could tell upon getting his blasters to fire a few blasts. Like Home, the cavern was empty and devoid of life, something that could be easily fixed. The cavern was also considerably colder than Home as well. Sans could see his breath in the air. "... image if this cavern was a winter biome.." Wingdings murmured. "that'd be cool. i miss snow." Sans agreed as he moved forward. Some places gave way into nothingness. The blasters had to be used to cross some areas. That's how Sans and Wingdings found out that they were body less. "It's probably to fit the claustrophobic environment." Wingdings suggested. It would remain a mystery though.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

The next cavern was by far the largest they'd explored. All sorts of different underground rivers wound through this area, creating waterfalls and only lacking vegetation. Grillby rode a blaster through this area, another blaster shielding him from the dangerous water. "nice to know nobody will die of thirst.." Sans muttered. This place was nice, but much to wet for his liking. It was so freaking big too. "It is very empty for a cave system. I would have assumed there would be a bear or a cougar or something..." Wingdings muttered. "or bats." Sans continued to name off cave dwelling animals. "There is an odd sense of familiarity to this place no?" Wingdings said, looking around. "i... guess? prophecy did say that skeletons came from the earth. maybe our species originally came from a cave system like this?" Sans shrugged, amused by the thought. "Perhaps." Wingdings mused. "Perhaps." Grillby perked as he noticed that it was slowly getting brighter up ahead. "Gentlemen, I think we are getting close to the end." Grillby pointed out what he was seeing. "light? the surface?" 

⚜️⚜️⚜️

The light ended up being... magma. Another chamber. "... an inactive volcano? Should we be worried?" Wingdings muttered. "this is a volcano?" Sans ask curiously. "i thought it would be more... spewy?" Wingdings chuckled at Sans description. "There are different sorts of activity in volcanos Sans. You are speaking of an active volcano. This is an inactive volcano." Wingdings informed. "... oh." Sans pondered as they walked alone. "what if it doesn't have lava?"
"That would be an extinct volcano, Sans. Also it's not lava if it's still inside the volcano, its called magma. We can discuss volcanos and how they work at a later date, sound good?" Sans nodded. "i'm holding you up to that, dings." Sans threatened playfully at this mentor/father figure, pointing a finger at him. Wingdings rolled his eyes as he peered down into the lava pits. "Hm. That there is pure geothermal energy... I may be able to make use of it..." He hummed as they walked along the magma pits. "i wonder how much more to this place there is..." This magma pit was no place for Pap either. Sans would have to keep looking because so far that possible winter biome sounded nice to Sans.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

The last cavern reminded Sans of the first. He realized that they must've finally made it towards the end of the cave system. This was confirmed when they found what was once an opening to the outside world. Now it was just a white barrier, radiating with thick, impenetrable magic. "... this will be difficult to break..." Wingdings muttered as he studied the magic. "This has to be pure soul magic, filled with intent to capture. It's almost impossible to break... but we can do it." Wingdings determined. "Let's return home and report this to the King, I want to spread some seeds through these areas and see what comes out of it. We could strat constructing homes in these other caverns too."
"i, for one, am up for that first one we were in." Sans pivoted on a foot, speed walking back I the direction they came from. "We can make a real home there dings! papyrus can grow up happily there!" Sans was very excited about the idea and Sans being excited made Wingdings excited. "I'll race you there!"
"Wait for me!" Grillby ran after them, just as happy as they were. They needed fun moments like these.

3 chapters left