Part 18

PoV: Shadow

The school's provided lunches were terrible, but they were all I had for food now. Sonic's suspension has been less convenient for me than expected. The fact that his own stupidity got him caught before my allowance was restored is even more troublesome. Damn idiot.

"Did you hear Sonic is actually an omega? He's been gone for over a week because of it."

"Seriously?! No wonder he was so cute. We should ask Amy how often he goes into heat."

"Why Amy? He's always with Knuckles. He would know."

"Who cares? I just wanna smell his natural scent. He could be my life partner."

"Hedgehogs don't have lifelong partners," I growled and pushed through the group of gossipers.

It's all anyone talks about now. The beta everyone loved turns out to be a rare male omega.

"Tsk, pitiful," I walked to class, Amy was standing in my way.

"Shadow," she grabbed me, "I need your help."

"Not interested," I pulled away from her.

"It's about Sonic," she stated, "Everyone is obsessing over him right now. He's coming back to school tomorrow. Please just... don't let anyone hurt him. He underestimates Alphas and what their scents can do to him. He could..."

"I have nothing to do with that idiot any longer," I left, sitting down at my desk again.

  He still hasn't answered my request. Amy's concern could work for me... I'll let Sonic suffer a few days. In exchange for lunches and a bit of cleaning, I'll keep the perverts off him. There shouldn't be anyone else getting in the way afterward. She said he was returning to school tomorrow in the omega class. I'll keep an observation of which perverts will take the risk.

PoV: Sonic

"Okay..." I had finished packing both lunches for today. Breakfast was ready, I was in my new uniform. Tails was already eating, "All done."

"Sonic, you'll be super safe right?" Tails asked.

"Yeah, Tails. I promise. Let's finish eating, it'll be time to go soon," I sat down to eat breakfast with him.

  After eating I packed Tails' lunch into his backpack and grabbed my own. Thud!

"I just washed these," I had knocked over the clean Tupperware. Shadows bentobox had fallen out of the cabinet... "I should return this to him..."

  I looked at my phone, Shadow's only request now was for something spicy. I packed up the leftovers from breakfast into his bento. I added some hot sauce packets and jalapeños on the side for him to add himself. Then I placed a note before wrapping it up.

"This is your last bento from me Shadow," I placed it into my bag and left with Tails, dropping him off at college before I left.

---

"Look, he's in a new uniform."

"The rumors were true..."

  Everyone's looking at me this time... I heard some of the whispers as I walked to the bathroom where I usually met Shadow.

"You showed up," he was here, behind the door as I walked in.

"Yeah... here," I handed him the lunch box, "This is the last lunch you'll get from me."

"Hmph," he took it and left.

  That's it? Shadow had left without saying a word or fighting over it. He just ignored me completely. That wasn't so bad. I can finally return to a peaceful school life-

"Hm~ you smell sweet," I panicked as I was grabbed. Someone was in here!?

"Eh? So you're the male omega everyone's gossiping about," it was strong, his alpha pheromones...

"Let go of me, I'm going to class right now," I pulled my arm away, and my knees felt weaker so suddenly. What the... it feels like my strength is leaving my body. I moved away from him immediately, and then the weakening feeling stopped.

"You don't easily submit. I like that," he was from a grade above me. A sophomore... Their pheromones were stronger than freshmen.

"I have homeroom right now," I tried to walk past him and he grabbed my arm again.

"You know if you paid attention to any of the omega lessons in biology that no omega can resist and alpha after a kiss. So," he placed a hand around my neck and forced me to look his way.

"Get off!" I kicked him right between the legs. He whimpered and let me go before falling.

  I ran out the door and hid in the stairwell to calm down. I still had a few minutes before class started. I took a sip from my water bottle to cool down. That was too close. I was only alone for a second. No, this is gonna be fine. I don't need to freak out over an alpha. I've been around alphas before. I'll be fine after a few days. Everyone just has to get used to this all. A few days, and everything will calm down.

---

"Everyone, we have a new student joining our homeroom. Come on in," they were making me introduce myself...

"Hello, my name is Sonic Hedgehog. It's nice to meet you all," it was basically a classroom full of girls. Almost all omegas.

"You used to be a Beta right?" One girl asked, "It must have been hard suddenly becoming an omega."

"Well... I'm still adjusting is all," I wanted to just sit down already.

  It was a few more questions before the teacher decided it was enough and had us move along with the lesson. Thankfully this class was a unit behind so it was more like a review from what I already knew. That'll make adjusting to the class easier at least.

---

  Everything was different. Gym classes weren't allowed to do any unprotected activities. We had to stay in a separate gym room for us specifically. No track to run. No soccer, no rough games. We only ever did stretches, some gymnastics, or badminton.

"Coach? Could we maybe play volleyball?" I asked as we finished our stretches.

"Volleyball?" The coach looked around.

"I'd like to play. I think it would be nice to play something different," another girl spoke up.

"Yeah! I'd like to play too," a second girl raised her hand.

"I don't wanna play. Let's stick with the easy stuff."

"I wanna play though."

"Yeah, me too. The easy stuff is boring."

"Stop making the class harder!"

"We don't wanna play."

"Girls! Enough!" The coach blew her whistle to silence us, "We won't be playing volleyball. That equipment belongs to the alpha, beta gymnasium. Their scents are all over the equipment. We can't risk you collapsing from premature heat. You already have to stay in high school for an extra year to keep up with schoolwork in between your heats. We will be doing gymnastics today, that is final."

  Well, at least that lets us move around more than badminton.

  I wasn't allowed to do anything anymore. I had to eat in the omega classroom to keep the alphas from bothering me. Teachers treated me like something delicate or like a little kid who couldn't do anything. I was even warned not to lean by the window because I could smell an alpha outside... from the third floor!

  This is my worst nightmare. I hate this class... I hate my scent... I hate all those drooling alphas who won't leave us alone. Not even the girls who had a mate were safe.

  I hate being an omega.

~~~

08/10/2022