Part 31

PoV: Sonic

"Whether you're a pair or not, that's no excuse for a trashy guy. We can't just have one pair in the world, no one would repopulate if that were the case. You'll find your real pair if he's not the one."

  The words of the bat girl rang in my head as I was washing the dishes that night. Tails was off doing homework and I was cleaning up. More than one pair, huh? But... Shadow's scent is the only one I know... if I did have another pair... Would they be like him?

"I don't know..." I sighed, "I thought I'd just stay single forever. This stuff is so messy and annoying..."

  I think I'll be just fine if I ignore Shadow like he's ignoring me.

"Alright fine. That's how it will be from now on. Home, school, and home again. Expect chili dogs on Thursdays and grocery shopping. Those are crucial," I set down the last dish and wiped down the counter, "I won't stray anymore. I have to be a good role model for Tails-" I caught him out of the corner of my eye with that notebook again, "Miles Prower! What did I tell you about taking notes on people!"

"It's for science!" He shouted as he ran away.

"Seriously where did I go wrong..." I felt defeated, no matter how many times I took those notebooks away there were still more.

Tap! Tap! There was a knock on our door as I finished up. When I went to check, there was no one anywhere. But, there was a bouquet on the ground. The smell of the flowers was a lovely blend.

"No name," I checked the card for a signature, I looked around still seeing no one, "Thank you," I called out before shutting the door, just in case they were still around, "These are beautiful."

  It was a cure arrangement of flowers. White, cream, and red roses, there was even some baby breath too. Then, though it was faint, it was nowhere in the bouquet, lavender... lavender... Shadow sent these?

  I set the flowers down and ran back outside to check if she was still there. Nothing... the wind had swept away his scent... I went back inside and trimmed the ends of the flowers before putting them in water. I left them in the window so they'd get lots of sun. Shadow... I pulled out my phone and took a picture of the flowers. I sent him a thank you before heading to wash up for the night. He really can be sweet when he wants to. Maybe, it wouldn't be too bad to try. If we are mates, it could be nice to get together. But, I'll have to talk about it with Tails first-

  Right... we haven't talked about that yet...

  I washed up and came back down to make a small snack for Tails. He was playing video games after finishing his homework.

"Tails," I knocked on his door, "You want a snack?"

"Yes please," he opened the door and grabbed the tray.

"Tails, can I ask you something?" I waited until he had sat back down before he grabbed his remote.

"Is it about the notebooks?" He looked away.

"No, but you do need to stop, it's unsettling," I took a seat on the ground next to him, "Tails... Do you see me as a mother figure?"

"... Oh... You did hear me then," he ate an apple slice.

"Not right away, my memories were hazy for a few days. Some of them are still a bit fuzzy, but I don't think there's much I can do about it. I'm not upset. It just never occurred to me that you would see me as something other than your bother," I wasn't upset at all, of anything I was anxious...

"I haven't thought of you as my brother for a long time now. Ever since this foster family gave us this place to stay in while they were overseas. You started taking care of me right away. You even learned how to cook before they left so you could feed me. Ever since then, when I think of a mom, I just think of you. You also have that mom glare that makes you kinda scary."

"I have a mom glare?!" I hadn't even noticed when I started making that face.

"Yeah, but you barely use it. You're mostly mom, but part of you is my brother too. Like when we play games together," he plugged in the second controller and handed it to me, "Can we play? It's been a while."

"Sure, I've been needing a game to play," I turned on the remote and Tails grabbed his controller.

"Sonic," Tails spoke up as we started playing, "If one day I wanted to call you something else, is Mom okay?"

"Tails..." That's right... he might be a genius in college but Tails is still only 8. It's why he's limited to only 2 classes and his club works. He's just a kid, I need to do what's best for him, even if it's a little uncomfortable, "I think it would take a while to get used to it. I'm still working on accepting that I'm an omega right now so... could you wait a bit before trying that?"

"Yeah, but I'm gonna try it out every once in a while. Maybe once every few weeks. Yes! I win," he cheered as my character was defeated.

"Mm..." I don't think I'll ever get used to the idea. Whatever is best for Tails.

  I lost 3 more rounds before heading to bed.

PoV: Shadow

Hm? I had gotten a message from Sonic, it was a beautiful bouquet with a thank you below it.

"Why is thanking me? I didn't send him that," I had never even bought flowers before. I wouldn't even know which ones Sonic liked.

  Wait... Why the hell is someone sending him flowers?

~~~

06-19-2024