Part 30

PoV: Sonic

  Shadow never showed up for his lunch. Part of me felt relieved he never came, I don't think I could have faced him knowing we were mates all of a sudden. Yet... part of me was upset I was bringing a full bento home. If I hadn't made everything spicy I would have offered it to Ray... It's not like I don't like spicy food, I could eat this for dinner.

"Sonic, you've been down since lunch," Tikkal switched seats to sit beside me, "Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about me," I put the lunchbox away for now. So long as I was looking at it I could decide if I should eat it, throw it out, or slam it against a wall.

"You didn't eat? That's not good for you!" Tikkal grabbed my hand.

"It's not that I- I made it for someone and they didn't show, that's all," I wound up blurting out the reason I was upset to her anyway.

"You made lunch for someone? Who? Is it Amy? You two would make a great couple!" Tikkal continued as students were leaving class for the end of the day.

"It's not Amy, and she's more dangerous than she appears. Um... could we not talk about this here?" I noticed the other girls weren't actually leaving the classroom. They were totally eavesdropping.

"We won't tell!" One of them shouted, "Please a secret between omegas."

"Come on Sonic, you're finally opening up, let us help," they were all gathered around. One of them even shut the door and lowered the curtains.

"Not a word will escape this room."

"... I don't think it's-" I was cut off by their begging again.

"Please!" Well, it's not like I've had much help from talking to alphas or betas...

"Okay fine... I didn't know that as an omega you can only smell your pair's.true scent... I just found out today and... the guy I invited turned out to be my pair. Dr. Vanilla gave me a crash course on omega biology since I had only been through beta bio classes. He still hasn't responded to my text... I don't know why he didn't show, I don't know how to deal with this..." I spilled everything except Shadow's name.

"Really? You found your mate already?"

"It's like a romantic novel! How wonderful~" Tikkal swooned, "Your partner for life discovered in school after a hard change in your life. You could dance away under the moonlight. Is it Knuckles?"

"It's not Knuckles," I sighed.

"Do you like him?" A voice stood out from the other girls.

"Huh?" I hadn't noticed someone outside of our classes was here. Crap, who is that? "I don't know you-"

"Right right, I'm Rouge, a fourth-year omega. I came in to drop some stuff off for the teacher. Now, unlike some of you, I've had several partners. I might not have found my pair yet, but one day I will. Now then, Sonic," she sat down on my desk and got too close for comfort, "Do you like him?"

"Well... He's kind of a jerk but, somehow, he's always there when I need him... He's surprisingly nice to me and my little brother. Maybe?" I thought about everything, from the bribery to cleaning his disgusting house, him saving me from Scourge... saving me from my own heat... helping me through it, bringing me food...

"So you do like him?" Rouge smiled, her icy eye glistening as she hopped off my desk, "Your face says it all. You shouldn't keep texting him. If you know where he usually hangs out, bring the lunch box you made and tell him your feelings. If he rejects you, throw it in his face and never look back. Whether you are a pair or not, that's no excuse for a trashy guy. We can't just have one pair in the world, no one would repopulate if that were the case. You'll find your real pair if he's not the one. Take my advice or don't. That hedgehog you're waiting for is too gloomy to act on his own. You've got to take the 1st step."

  Gloomy... She knows it's Shadow?! How? We've never met!

  The teacher kicked us all out when she realized we hadn't left. I stopped at the gate and looked around. Shadow probably left already... No point in looking for him... I watched the ground as I walked away from the school. Memories of everything had been flooding my mind since meeting Rouge. Wait, I'm not home? I had zoned out and walked all the way to Shadow's place without realizing it. I should go...

  I checked my phone, Shadow still hadn't seen my messages... What am I doing here... I took out the bento box I made and gripped the fabric of the box. I set it down on the ground and rang the bell before running away so I wouldn't be seen. I won't make him any more lunches after this...

  I made it home and Tails sent me a message that he was at the park, playing with Cream and Cheese. He had made friends with someone else named Marine. I had some time before needing to make dinner now. I can't believe Shadow is my mate... I can still smell his scent in my house... What am I supposed to do?

PoV: Shadow

  I went to unlock my door and I saw the bento box I had given Sonic on the ground. Did he deliver it to me? I never did show up to lunch. After my research, I was interrupted by that woman.

I brought the bento box inside and found the contents were all the spicy foods I had requested before. His scent had been washed away from the fabric and replaced with the smell of jalapeños and hot sauces. He can't be that stupid... he has to know we're mates already by now.

"I never intended on actually finding my mate. So many people make it their life's mission," I held the furoshiki, it irritated me that his scent had been overpowered, "I never thought I'd find them by chance..."

  I've even... My face felt flushed as I recalled wiping down his body and holding him so closely. I remember how his scent soaked into my fur from the water. Is finding him so bad? I took a bite of the lunch he'd left me. Even cold it was delicious. Sonic's scent had been increasing since he had switched suppressants. Because of him pretending g to be a beta, I couldn't tell was my mate. I had no reason to pay him any mind, but even with a suppressant strong enough to make him scentless... I could still get a linger of his scent. Before I knew it, I'd forced him to make my lunches because my curiosity got the best of me and I stole his suppressants. I'm thinking about him again, I guess avoiding him is pointless. How do I make up for all the shit I pulled? Until I make peace with Tails, I don't think I'll get to claim him properly.

"Shit... I have no idea how to be around kids..."

~~~

03-02-2024