Chapter 7

Valentine's Day was one day I had always considered sort of pointless. Why dedicate a whole day toward love when you should show your partner how much you love them every day? Maybe my opinion was slightly influenced by my current lack of a boyfriend, but I feel like it was a justified thought process anyway.

Besides, it's not like people treat the stupid holiday as anything more than an excuse to find someone, anyone, to go out with. Even Steve was doing that. He'd informed Robin and I during our shift yesterday that he had a date for tonight. Robin and I knew what was really going on though. This was more about him proving he wasn't still thinking about Nancy Wheeler than about being in love with...Sarah? Sandra? She wouldn't be around much so her name probably wasn't too important, I guessed. It's not like she was my date.

On my last Valentine's, my ex-boyfriend, Darren, had insisted we go see the new romance movie that had just came out. That would've been fine, except for the fact that the theater was completely full. The girl sitting next to me had turned completely sideways in her seat and was leaning against me for support, so that she could make out with her boyfriend. And they made noises. Loud ones.

I did have to admit, it wasn't Darren's fault that we had a bad time. He felt super bad about what happened and took me out for milkshakes afterwards. Then we went back to his house, but I'm not going to think about that. Really, it turned out halfway decent in the end.

So, maybe the problem wasn't the holiday itself, but the wasted potential. There's so much opportunity for genuinely fun, romantic activities and people choose to hook up with random people instead. But what did I know? I was spending this Valentine's single. Single, but at least not alone.

I was spending this Valentine's evening with Corroded Coffin. Sometimes I tagged along to practice, and it seemed like the most fun option for tonight since I didn't have a date. It was either that or go hang out with Robin while she worked and listen to her rant about Vickie. Well, it would be more of an intense whisper rant because lesbian crushes weren't something usually broadcasted. Steve and I were the only ones privileged to hear Robin's long confessions as we carpooled to work.

I glanced at the clock on the wall. It was nearly five, so I decided I'd just go ahead over to Eddie's since he was driving.

Hawkins in the winter, I concluded, was kind of a bitch. It was entirely too cold. Even with a long-sleeved shirt, a flannel, and a denim jacket, I was freezing my ass off. At least the cold was an incentive to run quicker to Eddie's trailer.

I found myself pounding on Eddie's door while bouncing back and forth on my heels. He was taking way too long to answer. In fact, he didn't answer.

"Jesus kid, it's too cold out. Get inside," Wayne, Eddie's uncle, said upon seeing me on the doorstep.

Like Eddie, Wayne may have seemed rough on the outside, but was a softie at heart. "Thanks, Wayne. Where's your nephew at, since apparently he was going to let me freeze at your front door?"

"Eddie's in his room on the phone. Sounds like something pretty intense, but I'm sure it would have to be for him to leave you out there like that."

Wayne was right, now that I was paying attention it sounded like Eddie's raised voice coming from down the hall.

"Yeah, I think I'll wait here," I grimaced.

It was only a couple of minutes before Eddie came out of his room. He looked mildly irritated, but that disappeared into a smile once he got out to the kitchen.

"You ready, Hel?"

•••••

"So are we going to Gareth's or Jeff's tonight?" I asked as Eddie pulled out of the driveway.