Chapter 17

It was already nightfall and Dustin was still leading us through the woods. He kept muttering to himself, but I couldn't make out whatever he was saying. That probably didn't matter though, because I doubt I would've understood it anyway. That kid was on another level of other-dimensional science bullshit. 

"Dustin? Can you slow down? Dustin?" Eddie panted, stumbling behind Dustin.

The boy merely turned and kept going. "I think we're getting close."

"Watch your step, big guy." Eddie grabbed Dustin's arm, pulling him back before he fell in the water. 

Steve looked out at the water as the two of us broke through the trees. "Oh man. You gotta be shitting me."

"Yeah." Dustin murmured. 

"I thought these woods looked familiar."

"Lover's Lake." Robin added. 

My heart rate quickened a little at the sight. We were here yesterday. This was where we watched Patrick die. 

"There's a gate in Lover's Lake?" Max furrowed her brows, taking in our surroundings.

"Whenever the demogorgan attacked, it always left an opening. Maybe Vecna's the same way." Nancy turned to look at the rest of us. 

Personally, I was still new to this, so I didn't know shit. Her theory sounded pretty solid, though. It seemed like a reasonable guess. 

"Yeah, only one way to find out," Steve muttered bitterly. That didn't sound good. 

Sure enough, we headed over to the boat Eddie and I had used yesterday. Steve and Eddie got it back in the water. It looked like we were going to find out about this gate the hard way. 

Robin climbed in first, using Steve and Eddie's heads for balance. Then Nancy. Finally, I took Eddie's outstretched hand and sat down beside Robin. Dustin made an attempt to join the five of us, but Eddie stopped him.

"Hey, hey, hey, you trying to sink us? This thing only holds three people tops."

Well, there were five in the boat, but I wasn't about to bring that up.

"It's better this way. You stay here and watch Max. Keep an eye out for trouble." Nancy gave the boy a reassuring smile. 

"You keep an eye out." He and Nancy made mocking faces at each other. "It's my goddamn theory."

"You heard Nance." Robin stated firmly.

"Well who put her in charge?"

"I did." 

Nancy ignored their bickering and held a hand out. "Compass?"

Dustin mulled it over and handed her the compass with a grumble. Steve tossed him a backpack and pushed the boat off the shore. He climbed inside, and off we drifted.

"You said three!" Dustin protested.

"Sorry," Steve whispered.

"Bedtime at nine, kiddos!" Robin shouted and stood up to wave at them. "Miss you already!"

The kids irritated faces grew smaller and smaller in the distance as Robin and Eddie paddled us out into the lake. Nancy held the compass, examining it for any strange behavior. Steve and I just kind of...sat.