Chapter 22

Eddie dropped a thick, dusty book on the table and pointed to the ad in the bottom left corner. "Check this out. The War Zone. I've been there once. It's huge. They got everything you need for, uh, well...killing things basically."

"You think fake Rambo has enough guns there?" Robin placed her hands on her hips and gazed down at the ad. "Is that a grenade. I mean, how is this legal?"

"Well, lucky for us it is, so...This, this place is just far enough outside of Hawkins that as long as we steer clear of main roads, we outta be able to avoid cops. And, uh, angry hicks." Eddie definitely looked more terrified of the angry hicks than the cops. 

"If we're trying to avoid angry hicks, maybe we shouldn't be going to a store called the War Zone," Erica stated bluntly.

Nancy shrugged. "Normally, I'd agree, but we need weapons, so I think it's worth the risk."

"Yeah, I'd chance fighting angry hicks over Vecna." I admitted. 

"But is it worth the time? It'll take all day to bike there and back," Dustin acknowledged the obvious.

"Who said anything about bikes?" Eddie had that mischievous glint in those big brown eyes of his. That never ended well. 

"You got some car we don't know about?" Steve questioned. 

Eddie straightened, stepping closer to him. "It's not exactly a car, Steve. And it's not exactly mine, but it'll do." Eddie whirled around to face Max. "Hey, Red, uh, you got a ski mask or a bandanna, something like that?"

Max thought for a moment. "I think I have something. Hel, can you come with me?"

I nodded and followed her quickly across the street. Thankfully, no one saw us and we safely made it back to the room we shared. She had me grab a box out of the top of her closet and started to dig through it. After a few seconds, she tossed me a bandanna and a pulled out...something else.

"Max, what the hell is that wad of hair?" I squinted at the furry thing she held.

"Halloween costume," She shrugged, holding up the full mask for me to see. 

It wasn't a wad of hair after all. Her old Michael Myers mask. "That's for Eddie, right?"

"I gave you the bandanna, didn't I?" She quirked a little grin. 

I chuckled, happy to see the more playful side of Max and just excited to see Eddie in that thing. I grabbed a jacket, pulled the hood up, and tied the bandanna over the bottom half of my face. We returned to Eddie's and she chucked the mask at Eddie, which he caught with a look of surprise.

"Is this...Michael Myers? Wait, why does she get a bandanna?" Eddie narrowed his eyes at my disguise. 

"First come, first served, Ed. Just had to be quicker, I guess." I shrugged and pulled the hood further over my head. 

Eddie started to protest, but gave up with a sigh. "Oh, forget it. Let's just get the hell out of here."

Fully masked, Eddie led us outside. We crept slowly around the trailer, stopping to check every once in while to ensure no one was paying us any attention. Not that anyone would be staring at a swarm of teenagers who looked like they'd either been through hell or came from a Halloween party, right? 

On Eddie's signal, we darted across the lawn separating trailers. A few trailers down was an RV, and we followed Eddie's lead as he ducked behind it and raced to the back window. He pulled it open and launched himself inside. I went next, Steve, Nancy, and the others close behind me.

"That was suffocating," Eddie muttered as he ripped the mask off. 

"Yeah, no shit," I agreed, untying my bandanna and lowering the hood.