A new life

Lan and wei ying arrived in yiling, during the wee hours of the morning, disguised as wen soldiers. Wen ning led them inside the supervisory office.

Lan zhan carried wei ying as the latter was asleep. After changing into peasant clothes and tucking wei ying in, Lan zhan walked inside wen qing's quarters.

"Sect leader lan and Jiang-gongzi are going to take over yiling and later attack langya, till then you both need to live in yiling. Any updates from Zewu-jun won't be arriving till the next month." Wen qing said. "Wangji is grateful towards wen-yishi for saving us and standing with us in this campaign." Lan zhan thanked the doctor.

"No need to thank me, I'm only trying to save my family." wen qing replied. "How are we going to hide them?" Wen ning asked.

"In plain sight." The doctor replied. "Lan-er-gongzi, I suggest disguise as a farmer, and Ying-di shall be your transgendered wife and you came to granny's place to stay as you've eloped together as you're families were against your relations." She put in.

"He can be granny wen's cousin's son. The one who joined the qinghe-nie clan when he was 6, I'm sure no body remembers him. " wen ning suggested.

"Sounds like a plan. I don't think that granny and Fan-mei would mind you staying with them" Wen qing said. "I suggest you to sleep early and reach granny's house by the dawn." Wen ning said.

"Mn, wangji is grateful." Lan zhan said, before taking his leave.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yingying, we need to reach there before dawn." Lan zhan said, trying to gently shake wei ying awake. "5 more minutes." wei ying whined.

"Maybe I should return this pretty dress to Wen-yishi- " Wei ying snatched the dress out of lan zhan's hands before he could finish.

"I'll wait outside." Lan zhan said, chuckling lightly. He caressed wei ying's frail face lovingly, before leaving.

"Meanie" wei ying mutter under his breath, before getting in his warm bath. His sore body melted in the warm, fragrant water as soon as it touched the water.

stepping out of his bath, wei ying dried his body and rubbed a peach body lotion all over his body. The gentle feminine fragrance elated his senses, god-knows-why.

He savored every moment of putting on his hanfu, from the intricately embroidered light green dudou to the lemon yellow banbi. Somewhere he felt more at home in those clothes than anything he has ever worn.

The clothes aren't much expensive, elegant or delicate, yet wei ying knew that he would choose them over his own.

"A-ying's looking very pretty today." Lan zhan came in, breaking wei ying's train of thoughts.

"bought this for wei ying" Lan zhan said, showing wei ying the pendant and a hairpin he brought from caiyi.

"So sweet of you er-gege." Wei ying wrapped lan zhan in a fleeting hug, before observing the delicate jade pendent.

"May I?" Lan zhan asked, wei ying blushed furiously. Lan zhan put the chain of the pendent around wei ying's neck and locked it.

"Do my hair, er-gege." Wei ying asked, bitting his lower lip. "mn" Lan zhan agreed.

The second jade combed, wei ying's silky, soft, raven hair, messaged some tea tree oil on his scalp, before putting the top of wei ying's hair up in a simple, yet elegant bun. leaving the rest down, like a cascading waterfall.

"You made me look so pretty, er-gege. This poor qizi is overwhelmed." Wei ying teased. "Don't start something you can't finish." Lan zhan said, wei ying gave him a confused look, but didn't think much about it as he was distracted by the anklets on the dressing table.

Lan zhan crouched in front of wei ying , before placing one of his palms under one of the latter's foot. Gently raising his wife's foot to his eye level, he helped to put on the fragile anklets around wei ying's feet. Kissing each as if marking the end of the process.

"Would er-gongzi mind waiting outside for a while, your wife needs to learn, how to use the makeup" Wen qing said, standing at the door. wei ying blushed at the word wife.

"This is Wen qian, she'll teach Lian-difu to use makeup." Wen qing introduced. Wei ying almost had a slip of tongue, but was saved by wen qing. 'You're not wei ying! You're bai xiaolian!' Wei ying mentally reprimanded himself.

Lan zhan unwillingly left. "Bai-furen should sit and listen attentively." The elderly woman instructed. Wei ying obeyed.

"This is the base makeup, this is made out rice powder and a few secret herbs, us wen women mix to get the proper adhesion and moisturizing our skins" Wen qian said plainly.

"But I've seen people use lead powder as the base?" Wei ying asked nervously playing with her bangles. "That is why their beauty doesn't last long, It doesn't matter to you, does it?." Wen qian said as if answering a student's query. Wei ying made a mental note of throwing away all of his shijie's powders, when he gets home.

"It's alright if you want to skip the base coat, we can start with rouge." Wen qian said examining wei ying's face.

Wen qian started applying rouge over wei ying's cheeks, it didn't take him very long to learn, given his artistic abilities.

"This is kohl, it is made by grinding charcoal. If you don't have charcoal, you can just hold silverware over fire for some time." Wen qian said, keeping the kohl aside.

"I haven't seen my sister used it." Wei ying said, "that's because it is from the middle eastern and southern countries." Wen qian said, expressionlessly. 'Shijie would love this!' wei ying thought, ignoring wen qian.

"First, apply some rouge on your eyelids." Wen qian applied some rouge in neat strokes over his eyelids. Later lining them with kohl.

She did his eyebrows before moving to his lips. she handed him a rouge paper to dab his lips on.

"A maiden without ear piercings, what a shame." Wen qian scoffed, "If you want , I can pierce your ears for you." Wen qian suggest.

"Get away from my wife!" Lan zhan thundered, hiding wei ying in his embrace.

"What an isolent child! Every woman has to go through this, if your wife can't bear even a bit of pain, then how is she going to give birth?" Wen qian scolded lan wangji, keeping up her plain attitude. "We'll adopt!" Lan zhan yelled. "Is this a way to speak to an elder!" Wen qian shouted. Wei ying sighed watching the drama.

"It's alright er-gege, I'm a cultivator, who has had worse injuries." Wei ying giggled, "But I'll be right here, holding her hand." Lan zhan stated. "Kids these days." Wen qian muttered in annoyance, it somehow reminded Lan zhan of his uncle. 'I hope shufu's safe' Lan zhan thought praying for his family's safety from his heart.

Wen qian then heated the piercing needle and pushed it through wei ying's ears, somehow wei ying felt that Wen qian was taking out her aggression on wei ying's ears. "ah!" wei ying gasped in pain. "Qizi we're leaving now, this woman is hurting you." Lan zhan said tugging at wei ying's wrist. "With only one ear pierced." Wei ying crooked his eyebrows, amused and a little bit aroused by Lan zhan's over-protectiveness.

"Only for my qizi." Lan zhan pouted, wei ying stopped himself from kissing his fujun's pout with great hardship.

Lan zhan sat besides his wife, holding him even tightly. Finally, after 15 minutes of yelling, pouting and pain, wei ying was ready.

Till this moment wei ying hadn't realized that he felt more like himself like this than anything else.

Wei ying couldn't help, but stare at his reflection completely mesmerized by it. "Let's go." Lan zhan nudged him gently and led him to the carriage.