The Last of the Lies

W-what...? Shuichi thought as he looked down to the hydraulic press. It can't be.... Kaito's purple sleeve hung out of the press. Was it true, that Kaito had been the one to die? Where's Kokichi at a time like this?! Shuichi held back tears. He wasn't going to cry in front of everyone. He only wanted Kaito to see him cry. He only wanted Kaito to wipe his tears.

But now Kaito was gone.

.
.
.
.

The next class trial felt like the worst one for Shuichi. As the students argued about Kaito's killer, they started to wonder where Kokichi was. It was impossible to skip a trial. Soon, Shuichi found a solution.

"Maybe it's not Kaito who is under the press!" He choked out, wanting to believe it.

Suddenly, they heard loud footsteps, and an exisal came into the trial room.

"Missed meeee?~"

"Kokichi?" Himiko asked the exisal.

"Yup! It's me. Kokichi Ouma. Did I come at a bad time?" He said in his annoying voice, but it seemed... wrong.

"Kokichi..." Shuichi said. "Is that really you in there?"

"Of course, stupidhead!~" Kokichi exclaimed. "Are you really a detective if you can't even see that it's really me here?"

The voice inside the exisal croaked slightly saying that. It couldn't have been Kokichi in there. But it was so convincing, Shuichi almost thought this wasn't a fluke. But then it dawned on him. Why wouldn't Kokichi just come to the trial without the exisal? This situation was suspicious to him. He didn't want to do it, but he had to.

"Kokichi... be honest with us." He shakily said. "Is it really Kaito in that exisal?"

The students stood there in disbelief. They all knew that if it truly was Kaito in the exisal, that would mean Kokichi was in the press.

"Just come out and show us Kokichi if it's really you!" Shuichi yelled, feeling the tears come to his eyes.

As he expected, a purple haired boy did come out of the exisal, but not the one he wanted to seem like. Kaito Momota, the Ultimate Astronaut, stepped out of the exisal.

"Good job, Shuichi. You got me." Kaito said, somehow still praising Shuichi for exposing him.

Shuichi couldn't help it as Kaito revealed himself. He let his tears flow down his face.

Kaito came down from the exisal and gently touched Shuichi's shoulder.

"I guess this means..." Kiibo started.

"No! I refuse to believe Kaito..." Shuichi denied. "It had to have been somebody else, I mean, Kaito wouldn't—!"

"I'm the one who killed Kokichi!" Kaito yelled.

"Kaito, n-no!" Shuichi sobbed.

Kaito turned to Shuichi.

"I-I don't even want to look at you..." Shuichi said, falling into a mess of tears. "Y-you asshole! You p-promised you w-would escape with me! B-but you're really the b-blackened, h-uh?"

Shuichi felt the same strong arms wrap around him as they always would when he was upset. Shuichi hugged Kaito back, crying louder than he ever had, not caring about others seeing him. It all fell upon him that this was Kokichi's final lie, Kokichi's final aching feeling in Shuichi's heart. This was the last time he was going to see Kaito, wasn't it? It was the last time he would get a hug from him. The last time he would go into his room and sleep there with him. The final moment he had with him. He dug his head into Kaito's shoulder and continued to cry. 

"W-why... why would you kill Kokichi?" Shuichi asked.

"It was all part of his plan." Kaito said. "Maki had shot him with a poisonous arrow, and then was going to shoot him again, but I lunged in front of him. Then Maki brought an antidote, and we thought that Kokichi drank it, but really he was going to give it to me. But then he wanted me to follow him plan, so I did."

Kaito stopped. Then continued. "He wanted me to crush him under the hydraulic press while laying on top of my jacket. He wanted to deceive Monokuma; he told me wanted to end the killing game once Monokuma couldn't tell who was under the press." Kaito informed them. "His final words to me were his true feelings about this game."

Kaito told the students what Kokichi had said. "I dunno, that's just what he told me." He shrugged it off.

"So it was really Kokichi in that press?" Himiko asked.

"Yeah." Kaito replied.

"Kaito... please don't— who am I going— we didn't—" Shuichi was at a loss for words, but he realized he didn't need any as Kaito kissed him.

"It's okay, Shuichi." Kaito said, wiping his tears with his hand. "Don't miss me too much, sidekick."

And that was the last time Shuichi heard that nickname.

"The impossible is possible! All you gotta do it make it so!"