24. Travelling Back

It took the combined effort of my room-mates, Nathan and even Nyx to get me to lunch. I wanted to skip it because after the fool I made of myself, I was in no state to face everyone else. Especially Carter or even Lena for that matter.

So, thanks to them, I was sitting at one of the huge tables eating delicious food but not really enjoying it. I was casting nervous glances at Carter's table where he sat with his friends, laughing and talking. Yes, you read that right. LAUGHING AND TALKING!

I looked away and concentrated on my food. Bex tried to lighten up the mood at our table but soon faltered. No one was in the mood.

"What the heck is wrong with the little princess?"

I looked up to see Arnold standing beside our table, a guitar in his hand, smiling.

My roommates looked at us strangely but didn't say a word. I didn't know what was racing through their minds but ignoring them I said to Arnold, "Nothing."

"Oh come on! I know it is something," he said taking a seat in an empty chair at our table.

I shook my head and showed interest in my food. Certainly, it didn't lower Arnold's confidence.

"I know what happened in one of your classes today," he whispered.

I looked up and glowered at him.

"What?" I snapped.

"Duelling. It doesn't matter, you know."

"I don't think you know what does and doesn't matter to Renna," Bex said.

His expression is of mock surprise when he said, "I think I do know Renna, enough."

At that, Eva choked on her salad.

"It is really nothing, Arnold," I forced a smile.

"You know, they say that when you are sad or something, music helps. You think a nice song will help ya?"

"I don't know," I said because honestly, right now my head was blasting and I wanted everyone to shut up.

"Maybe, I could sing," he smiled.

Dear Lord, NO!

"Well I met you yesterday
You took my breath away
And I kinda like the way
That you're so damn unpredictable," he sang.

My heart skipped a beat at the lyrics as I recognised the song.

"And that was just history
It turned into you and me
It happened so easily
Like I'm living some kind of miracle," I continued.

The loud chattering in the Dining Hall had stopped as he continued the song after me.

"The world keeps spinning
It won't stop
It's just beginning."

The chorus, we both sang together.

"Cause I got high hopes
High hopes, high hopes
For me and you
And when we grow old
I'll say I told you so
Cause I got high hopes," I laughed out while he continued the song.

"I can move in with you
And we could get married too
Go on our honeymoon
Maybe we should finish this coffee first
It might sound a little weird
It's like I've known you for years
So every word you hear
Might just sound a little over-rehearsed."

I crimsoned at that verse and held back a smile. Okay, I was smiling full-on but who wouldn't?

Again, we sang the chorus out loud together and believe me, I felt good. I felt....I don't know. Nice? Reassured? HE WAS AWESOME AT LIFTING UP MY MOOD!