26. Silent Confession

Beep beep beep beeeeeeeeep.

"Stop this thing or else I'm sure to break it!" I snapped at Carter.

"I can't! It will go on beeping until I don't actually find the monster. That is how this works," he replied, trying not to lose his patience.

"Then find the monster! What are you waiting for?" I said, exasperated.

"There aren't any. I checked," he said, shaking his head.

We were walking along the pedestrian path, past the buildings with neon signs. He still held my hand and I didn't really mind it that much.

"Are you sure?" I asked him, seriously doubtful.

"I hope so. I mean, it's highly unlikely that monsters would lurk around tonight. Everyone is out on the streets. Someone must've seen them if they were here, right?"

"I don't know. Maybe we should follow the tracker, wherever it leads us. This way, we can be sure," I said.

He shrugged as he walked on, stuffing the prototype in his back pocket. We walked silently, alert for anything unusual and out of place. We could see nothing except happy people prancing about, having fun. We were about to turn back when suddenly, I spotted a shadow, too big to be human, ducking into an alley. I stopped in my tracks and turned.

"What's wrong?" Carter asked, confused and tired.

"I think I saw something," I said uncertainly.

"What?"

"A shadow. Too big to be that of a human. In that alley," I said, pointing in that direction.

"Are you certain?" he asked.

"I don't know. Maybe we should check......"

"No."

"Why not? Come on!" I said pulling him along.

"No way. Let's just go back. I'm tired and looking forward to sleeping," he whined like a baby.

"Fine! You go back. I'm checking on this," I said as I ran ahead to that alley. Something was wrong. I couldn't exactly pinpoint what but it was certainly something.

"Renna wait!"

I heard him yell but did not stop running towards the alley. I stopped at the entrance and peered ahead. It was too dark and it was stinking horribly. I walked on cautiously, careful not to make any noise.

"I told you to stop!" Carter yelled behind me.

I was startled but I turned and hissed, "Keep your voice low!"

I looked ahead again and continued to walk when suddenly, I felt chilly. I wrapped my arms around me and squinted. I could see nothing at all.

"You should've listened to the boy," a hoarse, cold voice said.

I jumped at the sound but could see no one.

"Who is it?" I called out.

No answer. I turned to Carter. He was standing horribly still, eyes wide with an emotion I have never seen on him. Fear.

"Carter...," I started but before I could finish my sentence, a hand was over my mouth and I froze. Literally. I could feel my legs freezing with a fine sheet of ice. Before it could freeze my whole body, I twisted his hand, away from my mouth and ducked. The icy sheet cracked and I rolled on the ground and got up a few yards away from it.

I looked harder and saw a gaunt, pale face. He was smiling a ruthless smile as he scrutinised me.

"I didn't expect you to be so agile and warrior like, Thaisa. This is quite a surprise. But then again, the blood of your warrior parents runs through your veins, doesn't it?"