36. Flicker

I looked through the tall glass pane of the second floor hall. I guess it was around six-ish in the evening but I was not sure. I was aware that it was the third day of, as they call it, battle. I couldn't easily spot all my friends except Nova and Carter. They fought side by side. They looked so good together that it was hard to believe that they are nothing more than friends.

I told no one about my weird dream except my roommates. She said it's nothing to be scared of. Bex thinks it's spooky and could mean that the Academy may be burnt to ground. Eva has theories (As usual). She thinks that Daphne is trying to contact me through a dream as she was the Mystic of Dreams and Nightmares. Bex had pointed out that she was dead and no longer possessed any powers as such. Eva said that it could be possible though. Nova was busy with her ring cum sceptre to pay us any attention.

I reflected back on what she'd said. 'What is yours is always yours. No one can take it away from you. It is yours forever. No matter what.'

What was she even talking about? It made no sense to me. At least not at such an hour as this! My mind drifted back to scene that took place in the courtyard. I saw Freya tackling down monsters with roots and climbers and creepers and whatnot. I could see Ferdinand summoning the wildest of forest creatures and controlling them to take down as many of the slimy goo as possible. I could see Nathan rallying an army of skeletons while Julian was showing off his awesome fighting skills. Nova was doing her Mystic of the Light thing by throwing off bright light spot on, on the monsters eyes. I could tell by the way Bex was dancing in her CD-Rom flying disc that the music was a bit too loud for the enemy. Eva was lethal with that light saber. Carter. I could see him too. He was surrounded by huge waves. Mystic of Water. They all had their powers. They all could fight because of those very powers. Their own powers, I thought bitterly.

That's when it struck me. What Daphne meant. What is mine is always mine. No one can take it away from me. It is mine forever. No matter what. Maybe, she was talking of my powers. Maybe my powers were always with me, inside me. Maybe Carter's mother didn't, couldn't take away all of it because I was born with it. It was rightfully mine. Yes! That's what it is. It has to be.

I tried with all my might to burn the couch at the far end of the room to flames. At first, nothing happened. I tried harder. I shut my eyes and concentrated more than ever. And then I felt it. The warm and exhilarating feeling. The thrill and the strength that I missed so much. It was all there. It was inside me. I let the feeling take over me, washing me down with so much of energy. I feel it to be indescribable. The elation and the euphoria of it all. It was wonderful. I couldn't encompass what I was feeling in a word, a paragraph, an essay or a huge volume. It felt infinite. I was feeling infinite.

I finally opened my eyes to see myself surrounded by huge leaping flames. The dragon had reappeared and wrapped it's tail and body around me, shielding me. The Phoenix was above my head and it spread its wings. I felt ready and I felt alive. I could fight and defend the Academy. I could prove that I'm not as worthless as they thought.

I bounded outside, past the hallways and corridors. Past closed oak doors and into the courtyard. I surveyed the scene and felt like yelling them to stop. But it would've been futile. No one could've heard me over the cacophony of war. But I did it anyway.

"Stop!"

I was surprised at how the magnitude my own voice increased. It was like someone had put a spell on me. Whatever I spoke would be heard well and clear. Everyone stopped. The noise ceased. No more clanging of swords and banging. The demons retreated a few yards back to safety of their mistresses. They, especially Pluvia looked at me in shock. I could feel each and every person's eyes upon me. I heard a few scattered whispers but that was not of any consequence.

Nova screamed, "Renna! You're back!"

I glanced at her and offered her a gracious smile but quickly gazed back at the three women seated on high (gooey) platforms who were clearly not happy to see me.

"I demand you to retreat, Pluvia. This war is futile. You shall die or worse be our prisoner. I give you a fare chance. Go away."

The whispering and murmuring increased but no one dared to utter a word.

"You're a fool, young lady, to think that I shall retreat. I'm not a coward. Fight if you can," Pluvia sneered.

Suddenly she looked across the crowd and yelled out, "Son of Aeris! Show yourself!" Another ripple of muttering went throughout the crowd as a figure appeared from behind. The crowd parted for him and he knelt in front of Pluvia. "M'lady."

"I expected you to keep an eye on our friend and inform me if anything was unusual. Where were you?" Pluvia yelled.

The figure said nothing but bowed his head. All I could do was gape at the scene occurring in front of me and my mind reminding me of a distant memory in the library. A memory of someone telling me that his mother is Aeris. And I could only whisper one name with tears threatening to fall. "Arnold."

• • •

"I didn't know that he was a spy!" Eva was a tad bit annoyed and angry that a piece of information had saved itself from her. Well, that is Eva for you.

"Well, yeah. He didn't see like the type. I mean he is cute! Actually, he was," Bex was saying.

"And plus, I thought he liked Renna! You know, liked liked!" Nova added.

I whirled on them and snapped, "Well, looks like he lied all the time and was pretending, okay?"

Julian, Carter and Nathan gave me curious glances whereas my roommates actually looked scared. Well, they should be scared.

"I guess it's time," Nyx announced while looking out of the window. "They've arrived."

"Good. Now, it's showtime!" I banged my fist on the smooth mahogany table and sprang out of my chair.

We had agreed on a brief truce. We had to regroup. And not leave any breaches in our security of the palace. I had my powers and now I had vowed to myself that this will be the last night we fight in this futile war.