35. Forever Mine?

The next day again started with the clanging of swords and shouts of either party in combat. As much as I wanted to be a part of the bloodshed, the Sanator made sure that I wouldn't leave her sight. But I did sneak out, only to freeze when a huge monster was towering over me and Professor Lysander finished him off.

"That was close," I'd said.

He just looked at me as if I were crazy and ran off to the battlefield.

• • •

"Okay sweethearts, come on, now, grow up faster," I muttered under my breath as I saw pack full of slimy goo approaching.

"Hey! What're you doing? Fight!" A senior called out as I shook my head in frustration. These people just don't understand and appreciate special powers, do they?

"I looked up as one of the slimy goo hovered above me. Before I could react, though, Carter jumped high and took it down.

"You've got to be careful, Nathan," he said. Always the wise one, isn't he? But I wonder where we would be without his wisdom?

"Sure. Just....,"

But before I could complete my sentence, I heard a noise below, on the ground. I looked down. The ground cracked open slightly and a skeletal hand emerged. Slowly, one by one, many such skeletons appeared from underground and stood guard around me. Carter looked shell-shocked and amazed.

"Nathan, are these?" he asked uncertainly.

I nodded my head ever so slightly and suppressed a grin.

"Soldiers of the underground! Hear me! Guard this palace and the one who summoned you. Kill the enemy and take them with you, below!" I yelled.

The skeletons simply nodded their heads—erm skulls and marched out of sight. I rubbed my hands together and murmured, "Now things are gonna get bony!"

• • •

"You won't get away, you rotting little thing!"

I heard the voice but couldn't quite place. In a way, it was eerily familiar but not much. And plus, it was coming from within the palace. The antechamber, to be precise. Realisation dawned on me. Had the monsters actually managed their way inside? But why hadn't I heard them? I couldn't process a thing. I looked back and saw the Sanator busy with a patient.

Quietly, I made my way toward the antechamber.

I pressed myself against the wall and peered. To my utmost surprise, I saw Vespere fighting a demon by her lone self! She was fierce and brave for what she was doing but also untrained and maybe a little unaware.

She slashed at the obsequious demon and he fell away a little, howling in pain. I ran forward and shouted, "Vespere! What are you doing here?"

"I'm fighting, Miss Renna! Can't you see?" she said, startled at my sudden appearance.

"Yes, I do see and no, you're not fighting, get that?" I said, getting exasperated.

"Of course not! I am fighting! I'm twelve! My parents will be proud of me if I kill this monster! They'll call me a brave girl," she said in awe.

"Exactly, you're twelve! Listen to me, Vespere. If something happens to you, I will never be able to forgive myself and never be able to answer your sisters. Please. Sit out of this one," I almost begged her.

"You cannot—" she started to say but stopped, her eyes wide, she screamed, "RENNAAAAA!"

I turned just in time to see the demon having now regenerated his arm, about to slash me to pieces with his axe. I shielded myself with my arm, using the other hand to push Vespere behind me and screamed. But the blow never came. Instead, I heard a slash and a clang. I opened an eye and saw the demon lying dead in a pool of black blood. I walked up to the demon and my face convulsed. I felt like vomiting due to the stench and also the lifeless body.