32. Betrayal

"This one?" Nova asked pulling out a bright pink flimsy dress.

Bex and Eva shook their heads vehemently.

My roommates, especially Nova had took it upon themselves to dress me up for my, as Eva called it, "date" with Carter.

• • •

"It is a date, isn't it?" Eva had asked.

"I don't know Eva. Will there be the winning of cuddly toys by playing Hoop-a-Loop?" Bex asked.

"No!" I yelled.

"Then I don't think it is a date," Bex said.

"Whatever, I just have to see why he asked me all of a sudden," I had said.

• • •

"Then how about this one?" This time, Nova held up a white lace short skirt and a noodle-strapped top.

"Never in a million years," Bex said making a face.

"Look, Nova can you select something casual? I mean, Carter has seen Ren all dressed up at the midnight party and all sweaty during swords practice. What he hasn't seen is just the casual Renna," Eva said. (And I was thankful for that)

After much debate and discussing, my roommates settled on a pair of comfy jeans and a loose white top. Eva insisted on brushing my hair and I let her. That gave me an acute case of déjà vu but I shrugged it off.

• • •

"Um Carter where are we....?" I asked because we were going round and round a certain block.

Carter stopped and turned around. I must say that he had put in an effort to actually dress up. He wore jeans and t-shirt with a leather jacket. He had done something to his hair that it looked messy in the right places. And it was also the first time I saw him wearing glasses. I didn't comment on them but he looked good.

He scratched the back of his neck and said, "I'm sorry. I misread the movies timings and we're an hour late."

"Oh, that's not an issue," I said, not at all disappointed.

The town tonight was brighter than usual with neon lights shining brightly and casting colourful shadows but the faces of people did not reflect the same happiness. They were tensed and enervated. Suspicious of almost anyone and everyone. Their smiles seemed superficial to me.

"So do you want to just...roam around or something?" Carter asked interrupting my trail of thoughts.

"Mmhmm," I replied absent-mindedly.

"Okay," he said and gently took my hand in his and pulled me along.

We walked silently most of the time except when occasionally Carter would point out to random things and cite out facts about them. Sad but true, it was almost romantic. I was actually having fun. I liked his company. He seemed distracted but was trying hard to make friendly conversation and smile more often. I wanted to ask what was wrong but I could save that for later. Right now, I focused on his jolted talking, trying to make it easy for him.

"Come on," he said, pulling me into a secluded alley.

"What?" I asked confused.

He stopped suddenly and faced me. He just stared at me for a while and I did the same. Not talking just staring. He drew in close slowly, his arms around my neck, fingers tangled in my hair. I stood there, momentarily dazed, frozen. Not moving, just standing there while Carter leaned in closer and closer. His lips were just inches away from mine and I closed my eyes and waited for them to make contact. But it didn't happen. Instead I heard a cold, menacing voice.