17. Wavering Certainty

Nova, Eva and Bex fixed their gaze on my dazed expression as if expecting me to snap. I was sleeping soundly (for the first time since I've been here) and they woke me up, gently at first which gradually turned to ripping my blankets off and rolling me to the floor.

"What?" I rubbed the back of my head where I'd bumped it slightly.

Neither of them seemed inclined to speak first. Eva, finally, took a deep breath and said, "Lady Freya wants to have an audience with Pri-OW!" Eva glared at Bex who hit her hard on the shoulder.

I shot Nova a quizzical look but it was as if she had zipped her mouth shut.

"Lady Freya wants to meet you in her office, Renna," Bex said, in a measured voice.

I jumped up in excitement and a bit of nervousness. "Well, it is about time she does!"

I ran to the mirror to smoothen my hair and say, "Come on, you guys. Move it!"

"Not us. Only you," Eva said.

My hands stopped mid-air and I looked at them. "Only me?" I repeated.

"Yeah."

"Is something wrong?" I asked them, tensed.

"Not at all. Go ahead," Bex said. She tried to sound cheerful but it felt as if something was bothering them. I wanted to know what it was but turned to the door and called out, "Will be back soon!"

I didn't hear Nova say, "Oh I doubt that."

I was not entirely sure as to which path to take to get to Freya's office. All the corridors and hallways seemed just so similar.

And that is why I let out a sigh of relief as I found myself staring at the familiar double oak doors. I raised my fist to knock on the door when the doors pulled apart themselves, slightly ajar.

I pushed them open further and made my way in. I saw Freya leaning back on one of the chairs, her eyes closed. She looked exhausted. Ferdinand was pacing the room, not caring about the worn spots on the velvet carpet.

He jumped a little when he saw me standing uncertainly and motioned me to come forward. I did so. He cleared his throat. At the sound of that, Freya's eyes fluttered open. Her gaze fixed on me.

"Ah Renna! Come, come. Sit." Her tone was different. It was as if it was all she could do to keep it friendly.

I took a seat opposite to her hesitantly. My eyes search hers for an explanation. I knew that was why she had called me. To tell me something related to that dream. She had known it all along. If not, then I was sure the Enchantress must've told her something.

I stared at her expectantly, wanting her to begin right away.

"Renna, about your dream...."

"Yes, Lady Freya. Tell me. Does it have anything to do with my weird powers?"

I knew that it had. That was the only logistical solution to the question. But I waited for her to tell me what I wanted to know.

Little did I know that her explanation would be a whole lot different; which could probably shatter my world. But I knew that I had to be strong enough to hold it together.

• • •

I watched the night stars shining in the inky sky. Beautiful, I thought to myself.

I was back to my favourite place in the entire palace. The balcony. It was cold but I couldn't seem to feel it. The weight of what was told to me was slowly sinking in. And I realised that my whole world had changed in just a few minutes. I didn't know whether I must believe that fairytale or not. It all made sense in a way. My powers, my adoption everything else. Except, How the heck did I end up in the Palenthian world? I wish I would know.