13. Back Home

Hours later, I was stuck in an air ship piloted by Carter and Julian, heading to the edge of Valenthia. From there, we were supposed to travel through a Portal to my house. I don't know how things were supposed to work out this easily but I was simply going with the flow.

• • •

As soon as The Enchantress left, I threw my covers and jumped out of bed. I ran out of the infirmary, creeping around the corridors. I did not want to be seen and hiding was for amateur. Quoting my favourite book, "The key to disguise and deception is to blend in and hide in plain sight." I felt all agenty while pushing my way further in a crowd of seniors. But when you have flaming red hair, that is impossible.

"Florentyna Evans!" I heared the sharp voice of Griselda, the supervisor.

I went still while she walked ahead to face me.

"What do you think you are exactly doing, Miss Evans? Aren't you supposed to be in the infirmary resting?" she snapped.

"I...I was but..I....," I trailed off not sure what to say further. I really did not want to tell my supervisor.

"What?" she asked, her patience rising.

"I want to go home," I blurted, without tact.

"Excuse me?" She asked, shocked.

"Professor, it's just that I..."

She didn't wait for me to complete as she grabbed me roughly by my hand and practically dragged me through the corridor.

And to think that just minutes before I was asked to rest by this very woman.

We walked up (she walked and I was dragged the entire time) to a familiar set of oak doors. Freya's office.

Griselda pressed her hand to the door and they swung open. She pushed me forward, giving the impression as if I was a criminal.

"Lady Freya! We have been betrayed! This measly little Palenthian girl!" she sneered.

"Whoa ,whoa, whoa! With all due respect, do mind your tongue, Professor! I haven't betrayed anyone!"

"Calm down both of you. Tell me what happened, Florentyna."

"Florentyna? You are giving her the first preference?"

I bet Lady Freya hurt Griselda's ego.

Lady Freya gave her a look and she shut up.

I faced her and observed that my room-mates and Carter were gaping at us. I hadn't noticed them before.

"Professor, The Enchantress came to see me."

"The Enchantress demanded to see you, Palenthian? A very likely story!" Griselda laughed.

"I know she did, Florentyna. Can you enlighten us regarding what she had to tell you?" Freya asked.

That again shut Griselda up.

"She said that I must meet my father. That he will be the answer to all my questions. That whatever tale he has to tell me will be reason you Valenthians shall rejoice. That is why I asked Griselda to go home. Please, Lady Freya. Let me go. I promise to return back." I said, trying my best to sound calm and not desperate, even though I was desperate.

Freya seemed confused at first which was replaced by a faraway look. In a trice, she snapped out of her dream and said, "Very well. I shall arrange for the travel and your companions. If this is so important to you and if the Enchantress has instructed you to do the same....it will be done."

I squealed in delight.

"Thankyou! Thankyou so much! Your kindness shall never be forgotten!"

She nodded and smiled as she turned to my roommates and Carter.

"Nova and Carter, go with her. Tell Julian to get the air ship ready. Eva, you know what to do."

Eva nodded feeling all important. Nova clapped her hand as if she was going on a picnic. (Maybe, she was) and Carter had a blank expression on his face. Griselda looked as if someone had kicked her in the stomach.

"What do I do?" Bex asked, obviously annoyed as she did not get a job.

"Help Eva," Freya replied curtly.

Nova pulled me along and as I walked out of the door I said, "She said that she had seen me before; when I was a baby. She even mentioned someone called Thaisa."

For a second, I thought Freya would collapse on the floor but quickly shook her head and said, "All the best."

• • •

I stared out of the glass at the clouds. It was like we were sailing over a vast, foamy ocean. The sun was shining brightly as ever. I started humming.

"Did you see that shooting star tonight? Were you dazzled by the same constellation? Did you and Jupiter conspire to get me? I think you and the Moon and Neptune got it right. 'Cause now I'm shining bright, so bright. Bright, so bright."

"Did you just sing, Renna?"

I jump at Nova's voice and turned to look at her.
"No, of course not. I don't sing," I said.

"Then who just sang that wonderful verse?" She smirked.

"Was that audible? I was just humming, looking out and....."

"Yes, it was as you put it, audible. And it was beautiful. Is it some song?" She asked.

I nodded as I replied, "Yes. Bright by Echosmith. It is my favourite band. Actually one of my favourite. I have many."

"I love your voice and you sing amazingly," she complimented.

Something in her voice told me that it was a genuine compliment. I smiled as I thanked her.

"Well, frankly speaking, that sounded like a frog croaking," Carter said.

And something in his voice told me that he was being unnecessarily mean.

"Thanks for that lovely compliment," I said, giving him an especially sweet smile.

"The sky is clear. I don't think you guys will have any casualties," Eva's voice was bursting through the static.

"Sure, honey," Julian said, cheerfully.

Nova and I shared a look, a single thought coursing through us,"He calls her honey?"

"And even if we do have trouble, I'm sure Carter can handle that. Won't you, Carter? Seeing that it is your territory, eh?"

Carter looked straight ahead, ignoring Julian.

"Your territory? I thought you were the Mystic of Water or something," I said, surprised.

"I am," he replied.

"So what does Julian mean?" I asked inquisitively.

He faced me as he said in a soft but dangerous voice, "Hey, I found your nose. It was in my business."

After that, I really shut up. Julian and Nova were at the controls while Carter was standing stoically. Except Eva's voice at the intercom, the ship was silent.

I turned to stare out of the window, with a sigh, careful this time to clamp my mouth shut and not even hum.