30. Death's Snare

"Where are we going?" I asked sleepily while Eva led me by the hand as she said, importantly.

"To the laboratory," she said. She was panting. Of course, the nerd that she was, she wasn't sporty at all.

"Laboratory?" I spluttered. Magicians have labs?

"Yeah. It's not what you think. Here we are,"she said.

"Here" was a room with glass doors and numerous shelves. "Here" was a room with boiling cauldrons and glass jars holding various herbs and whatnot. "Here" was also the perfect paradise for Professor Snape from Harry Potter.

"Potions?" I asked incredulously.

"Yeah," Eva replied while she gazed at the glass jars and cauldron. So this is the only competition for Julian, I thought to myself.

"C'mon," she called out as she strolled in.

The room was considerably empty except for Nathan, Carter and Julian. Nathan was leaning back against the table with an amused expression on his face while Carter was focusing on a questionably boiling cauldron. Julian was laughing but stopped as soon as he noticed Eva.

"Eva!" He called out gleefully.

"Not now, Ju. I've got work," she said.

Julian raised his eyebrows and caught my eye.

"Extra credit project?" he asked me.

"That's what I'm guessing. I don't know either," I admitted. I pulled my sweater tightly around me. This room was considerably cooler than the rest of the palace.

I saw Carter looking up and wiping his brow with the back of his hand, never once looking my way. Nathan waved at me and smiled. I did the same.

Eva was muttering something under her breath and she shooed Julian and me away while she "worked on something."

"Why the heck did you pull me here, then?" I asked getting a tad bit irritated.

"Shush! It's for your own good," she said.

I shrugged and walked down the aisle observing the different glass jars.

"What are those?" I asked pointing at the other end of the room.

Everyone except Eva looked up.

"Those, Renna, are the bottles of the most dangerous potion in the universe," Nathan smiled.

"Really? Which one?" I asked curiously.

"Oh never mind Nate, Ren. He is only kidding. Those are just love potions brewed by Lena. And mind you, they're stronger than the average," Julian said.

"I see," I murmured thoughtfully.

"Are you getting ideas Renna?" Nathan asked rather mischievously.

"Of course not! I don't need measly little love potions!" I laughed.

I turned to observe another set of jars, Carter just behind me.

I don't know why but lately, he has been more distant than usual. I know that I didn't do anything wrong. Then what is it with him? It's not that we are an established couple or anything but at least friends? We behaved as if we didn't know each other. As if I didn't freaking exist!

"Whoopsie daisy!" Eva exclaimed as she fell and knocked down a cauldron of pink potion. The thing splattered and fell on Arnold who had just entered the room. Arnold licked the potion and murmured, "Mmm...delicious....is this the....," his eyes widened and he stared at me as he added, "the Love Potion?"