Chapter EIGHTEEN

Cohen

Oh my god. I have the worst headache I've ever felt and my face feels like it's going to fall off. I can't open my left eye and there's a now-warm ice pack laying beside me, in my bed.

Rex made me take Tylenol and hold the ice to my face for awhile before he let me go to sleep. He said I might even have a concussion. Even though I was annoyed, I know how lucky I am to have him as a friend. At least I didn't have any problems sleeping last night.

I get up slowly and go to the bathroom - avoiding the mirror as I wash my hands - and when I go back to my room, Rex is sitting on my chair, near the desk.

"Jesus," I mumble, crossing the room.

"Good, it doesn't look at bad as I thought it would," he says right away. "Fresh ice pack."

I take it from him and sit back on my bed, placing it against my eye and cheek. It feels good, but so bad. What the hell was I thinking? I barely know this girl and I now have a mangled face to show for it.

"Thanks, Dr. Rex," I say, to break the awkward silence.

He clears his throat and doesn't even laugh. "Seriously, Cohen? Teegan is Lola's step sister? Teegan is the girl who everyone was talking about, that's staying in Avila for the summer with her mom?"

I nod, because what else am I supposed to do? I didn't know she was staying here all summer. I just knew she was Lola's step sister, her mom is married to Lola's dad. And I know she works at the rental hut.

"Teegan's mom owns the rental hut, Cohen. Did you know that?" Rex goes on, as if he's reading my mind.

My mouth falls open. "I did not."

Rex takes in a deep breath, gathering his thoughts. He always tries to take care of me and I know he's trying to figure out what to say without being mean. I wait. He stands and walks over towards my closet and then turns and comes back.

"Don't get involved, okay?"

That's it? That's all he has to say?

I snort out a laugh, and shake my head. "Really? You think you can tell me what to do?"

"She seems sweet, but it's so... messy. I thought we were going to avoid the drama this summer?" Rex wants to know, looking hopeful. "She's Lola's sister, Cohen."

"Step sister. They don't live together. Lola lives with her mom in Santa Maria, you know that. And if Teegan is just here for the summer visiting, then who cares? We both work at the hut. We both have insomnia, so we -"

"Wait, what?" Rex interrupts and I know I said too much. 

"I saw her on the beach two nights ago, after midnight. Just walking. I was out there trying to get tired, too. Insomnia." I shrug.

"You slept like a baby last night," he says and then laughs.

"How do you know that?"

"I checked on you a couple hours after you passed out. Made sure you were breathing."

"Jesus. Thanks, I guess," I laugh. "Last night I was drunk and beaten. I did sleep well, though. Maybe that's the key."

Rex bursts out laugh. "I can beat you up tonight if you want?"

"You couldn't beat me up if you tried," I laugh.

"I have to go... my mom's been texting. You will be okay today?" he changes the subject. "I know I said we'd go to the fair, but-"