The Portal

I was born in 1907. I know early right? Ever since I was a little girl I've been more smart and stronger than most of my family and most kids my age. When I was 10 the handler recruited me to work for the commission. She saw my potential and trained me harder than most others. Eventually I stopped taking more serious jobs and took assassin missions.

Five Hargreeves. The best assassin in the commission. The secret weapon that I somehow got paired up with. The handler sent us to Dallas, Texas 1963. Our job, assassinate the president and whatever we do we can't get caught.

Me and five get to our spot and I take out my briefcase which holds the parts of a shotgun. I start to assemble the gun and I hear five mumble nonsense. Before I realized what was going on a large blue portal opened and I saw five struggling to keep it open. In a panic I grab his arm as he falls through which ends up taking me with him.

We hit the ground which caused me to yell out in pain as I landed on it face first.

?: "does anyone else see little five or is it just me?"

?: "no I see him too, and some girl..? "

F: "SHIT Y/N?!"

Y: "fuck, that hurt so bad. Five what the hell just happened?!"

He helps me onto my feet. I noticed that I felt a lot shorter and lighter. I finally adjusted my eyes and see a very young five. He looked at me the same and started to panic.

F: "Shit.. The equations were off."

Y: "You have so much explaining to do asshole."

?: "what the hell is happening.."

Five grabbed my arm and wrapped it around his shoulder. He guided me inside to the kitchen and sat me down on the table. Soon the other people came in. Everyone stared at me while five got an ice pack and set it down on my leg carefully.

Five began talking to everyone while getting ingredients to make two PB and Marshmellow or PB&m sandwiches.

F: "what's the date? The exact date."

?: "The 24th"

F: "of what"

?: "March"

F: "good"

?: "so are we gonna talk about what just happened, or who that little girl is?"

Y: "I'm not a little girl asshole" I coldly said and flipped him off. He looked somewhat shocked. And five stays silent. The guy I flipped off stands up and walks near five and I.

?: "It's been 17 years."

F: "it's been a lot longer than that." Five blinks behind him grabbing more things from the cupboards.

?: "haven't missed that."

?: "where'd you go?"

F: "the future [he blinks back to the table] it's shit by the way."

?: "called it!"

F: "I shouldve listened to the old man. You know, jumping through space is one thing, jumping through time is a toss of the dice."

He sets down what he got and looks up at the other guy on the table. "Nice dress".

?: "oh, well danke."

?: "wait, how did you get back?"

F: "in the end I had to project my consciousness forward into a suspended quantum state version of myself that exists across every possible instance of time. Poor y/n here got stuck with me when she tried to stop me."

Y: "thank you for introducing me but maybe put it into English for them. They don't understand, [I look back to the crowd of confused faces] clearly...."

F: "well they would understand if they were smarter."

One of the guys gets up hastily ready to do something but the big guy stopped him.

?: "how long were you there?"

F: "45 years give or take."

?: "so what are you saying? That you're 58?"

Five gets annoyed and shoots me a 'are these people stupid' look.

F: "No, my consciousness is 58. Apparently me and y/n's bodies are 13 again." he hands me the second sandwich and carefully helps me off the table and sets my ice pack down.

?: "wait how does that even work?"

F: "you kept saying the equations were off." he looks directly at me. "Surprised you're not laughing now."

I start to chuckle some and take a bite of the PB&M sandwich. I haven't eaten this good in a while. Five looks down at the table and picks up a newspaper with the headline 'CITY SAYS GOODBYE TO REGINALD HARGREEVES'

F: "Guess I missed the funeral."

?: "How'd you know about that."

F: "what part of the future do you not understand??"

F: "heart failure?"

?: "yeah"

?: "no."

F: "nice to see nothing's changed." He takes my hand and takes me out of the room.

?: "that's it?! That's all you have to say? You're not even going to introduce us to her?"

F: "what else is there to say? Circle of life." as he disregarded the womans question about me.

Five took me up the stairs to a room which I'm guessing is his bedroom. He finished his sandwich and opens up a closet only to find multiple copies of the same uniform.

Y: "hey are there any other clothes in there by any chance. This dress is way too big on me."

F: "I'll take you to one of my sisters rooms to try and find a uniform that will fit you. The old man never let us have anything else but these so this is your only option."

Y: "at least then we will match!"

F: "oh god."

Y: "oh fuck off old timer." I flipped him off and he did the same. After he changed he took me to his sisters room. It was lightly decorated and there was another closet full of uniforms but for girls. I motioned him to get out and he did. The uniform was a little tight but fit still. I left the blazer but I still had the skirt, shoes, button up short sleeve, and vest. I walked out and followed five to the living room.

It was very big and over the fireplace stood a large painting of five. I looked between the painting and him and noticed no difference. It was terrifying in a way. Suddenly a short girl with tied back hair came in.

F: "nice to know dad didn't forget me." the girl stayed silent but inched closer, almost looking amazed or happy to see him.

F: "read your book by the way.. Found it in a library that was still standing. I thought it was pretty good, all things considered. Yeah, pretty ballsy giving up the family secrets. Sure that went over well."

While they were talking I started to wonder around looking at all the things that were in here. This place was so big and spacious, all things considered. I skimmed through the books and found one with a recognizable last name. 'Hargreeves' I took the book in my hand and saw the cover. It had a little girl on it who looked like a younger version of the woman standing near five.

Y: "Vanya Hargreeves. Pretty name" I put the book back and saw the woman smile a little bit.

V: "thanks"

I saw a grim look on fives face, he looked like he was just told something horrible. I walked over too him and grabbed his hand which startled him a bit. Vanya and five start to walk out and I had no choice but to follow as well.