The Escape

We walk into the handlers office and take a seat. Looking around there is a lot of old decorations. The handler starts to go on and on about some sort of event while sipping at some sort of liquefied version of her lunch.

H: "and that's how Phil determined that the archduke just had to go.." she picked up a tray and put it to the side while five put down his cup on another tray.

H: "care for dessert?" she pushed a little bowl of candies near us. Five glanced over at me and smirked.

F: "I've already had more than enough, plus I ate a bad twinkie during the Apocalypse so it put me off of desserts." the handler glances at me.

Y: "I already had something earlier, plus I'm watching my sweets intake."

H: "please, indulge me.."

We both took one an popped it in while the handler lit a cigarette.

H: "what's that taste like to you?"

Y: "the... The 1950's?"

H: "precisely right, our clever metaphysics division concocted a way to perfectly distill an entire decade into a single candy. This ones modled after the Fudge Mutt, America's favorite in 1955."

F: "remarkable."

H: "you'll be happy to know it's the very division that's building your new bodies. Tch, that reminds me. I have something for the two of you. [She pressed a button on her desk phone] Carla?!"

C: "yes?"

H: "would you bring the box in please?"

C: "certainly." the handler goes back to smoking and gets up making her way over the where me and five are sitting. A woman comes in holding a rather large box. Me and five examine it before the handler gives us the go ahead to open it. Five nods at me so I open in to reveal a larger black suit and matching dress two piece. I take out my dress and it is a form fitting pencil skirt with a smaller cut overcoat. Five and I stand there in silence for a minute.

F: "thank you.."

Y: "it's a uh very nice gift."

We pack away the clothing. And five looks at the weapon display behind us.

F: "is that a Chinese flamethrower?"

H: "good eye!"

We walked over to examine the wall closer.

H: "war...such a fascinating concept.. A temporary salve for a permanent human flaw. Course it's a bit easier to see from 30,000 feet. These are just some of the things I have collected from my travels. M26 grenades from the Vietnam War. And this, the most noteworthy perhaps. [She holds up a pistol] My Walther pistol. The very one Hitler used to kill himself.

We're not supposed to take these kinds of things but...he wasn't gonna use it anymore. Feel how perfectly balanced that it. [She points it around the room] hm?"

She passed the pistol over to five and he looked at it before passing it to me.

F: "I had some thoughts I wanted to run by you. Some suggestions to improve commission protocol."

H: "Mm! Shaking things up already [she took the pistol back from me and set it down on the display] I admire that." she once again caressed fives face and I once again felt the need to rip her throat out for trying to flirt like that. Five saw my annoyed look and he chuckled a little bit and smirked at me. Five grabbed my hand and the three of us walked back to the handlers desk.

F: "Gloria. The tube operator. Wouldn't it be simpler if the case managers wer to send their own messages?"

H: "I appreciate the thought, I really do. But everyone loves Gloria. I-- I would never hear the end of it. She's been with the commission family for years. And she is this close to making pension."