MAN ON THE MOON.

AMBER HARGREEVES.                                                                                                                               present day.

"somewhere in these eyes, i'm on your side."

MY MOTHER SITS LIFELESSLY, her head tilted to the side, her eyes open wide and a faint smile still on her lips. Allison speaks first, "The two guys last night, the ones in the masks...they did this to her. It has to do with Five somehow, I mean they were looking for him."

Luther is crouching by Grace, staring at her as though she might wake up.

"They aren't looking for him," I gaze over to Allison. "They want to kill him."

"I know I was arguing to turn Grace off, but it doesn't make seeing her like this any easier."

"How did they know how to...turn her off, though?" I question, and the two either don't hear me or go silent to think about it.

"They were psychos." Allison finally decides. "Poor Diego. I mean, this is gonna be so hard on him."

"Yeah, it's hard on all of us." Luther sighs.

I think about what Allison said, about Diego, and focus my hearing. He hadn't moved from the living room, I could hear his shaky inhales and exhales as he paced around the room. I think about how somebody had to know how to turn off Mom, and how Diego knew that she was turned off, and how weird he was acting.

I look at the two before nodding goodbye, speed walking down the hallway, turning for the stairs.

"Where are you going?" Luther calls out.

"Uhh, I just need some time alone." I reply quietly before rushing down the stairs.

When I reach the living room, I practically collide with the door from rushing, and I turn to see Diego on the couch.

"Hi." I breathe out, slightly out of breath.

"Hey." His eyes are red and his voice is hoarse, making me wonder if he'd been crying.

"Wanna get snacks and sit in my room? Like we used to when we were younger?"

"Why?"

"I don't know." I had expected him to either say yes or no, not ask why.

"Okay. Let's go." He rubs at his eyes slightly before the two of us walk into the kitchen quietly. I grab some food in a little hamper and he grabs cups and some fizzy drinks before we make our way to my room.

The two of us climb up the stairs, going the opposite way to where Luther and Allison were standing by mom, and walk into the room. I shut the door behind the two of us with my foot, throwing the food onto the bed.

"Blankets and L.E.D. lights?"

Diego nods, plugging the lights in for me as I begun making a blanket fort with some chairs and the blankets in my room, propping up my old laptop in front of us and bringing the snacks and drinks inside.

The two of us sat side by side, our shoulders touching due to how small our make-shift blanket fort was, and our legs brushing up against one another occasionally, none of us pulling away.

"Music or a movie?" Diego finally speaks, opening my laptop and putting the password in by memory.

"Movie." I reply, a small smile on my face.

"Got it." Diego puts on a random horror film, turning the brightness up so we could see each other through the darkness since it was already late at night, and places the laptop by our feet, in front of us.