WAS THERE A RUMOUR?

AMBER HARGREEVES                                                                                                                                present day.

"my discotheque juliet teenage dream, i felt it in my chest as she looked at me, i knew we were bound to be together."

IT'S THE EARLY MORNING WHEN THE SILENCE FADES. All night I've spent by a phone, ringing each number of my family, excluding Diego and Allison, and I ended it with calling the academy on a whim.

The phone rings a few times, four or five, before the line is finally answered. "Hello?" I question down the phone.

"Hello? This is Sir Reginald Hargreeves. May I help you?"

My heart skips a beat, and then it feels as though it drops into my stomach, a sickly sensation taking over my body as I begin to cough away from the telephone, confusion and anxiety overwhelming me.

"Kiddinggggggg!" The 'g' is stretched out. "It's Klaus." He drops the fake accent, speaking as the boy I recognised.

"Klaus." I breathe my words out, slightly shocked. "You kinda got me there, um...are you home?"

"Uhuh. Home as ever."

"Home as ever?" I repeat, blinking a few times. "Right, is Luther there?"

"Ya-huh." Klaus says.

"Okay, wait there, I'm gonna come home."

"Okay. You want pancakes?"

"Pancakes?" I repeat.

"Yeah. I'm making pancakes." I could nearly hear Klaus' smile through the phone.

"Ok, um, sure. I won't be long." I hang up the payphone. 

I decided not to call a taxi, instead I walked back to the Academy. The walk isn't too long, just under twenty minutes. 

I use the time alone to think things over, letting my head run wild with all of the thoughts I've been bottling up these last few days. I've already sort of accepted the whole apocalypse thing, I figured maybe this was the reason that we were even made into the Umbrella Academy in the first place, and I'd heard about it early on, with Vanya and Five, which gave me more time to process it and think things over.

If anyone else knew about the apocalypse earlier, they might've reacted differently, maybe Allison, but the rest of us? When I found out about the apocalypse it's only natural that I was worried, but I had nothing to go home to, nobody to say goodbye to. It was the same for mostly everyone in the Academy.

But now Diego has been thrown into the equation, and now he's been thrown into jail in the time that we need him the most. The last thing I need right now is somebody to care for, somebody to look out for.

I let out a sigh, realising I've reached the Academy all too quickly, and I push open the gate with thoughts still lingering on my mind before I walk inside, being greeted by the indoor warmth. 

I slip off my shoes, walking towards the kitchen where I can hear Klaus. "Klaus?" I call out to him.

"In here!" He yells out, and I follow the sound of his voice to see him over the stove, cooking pancakes.

When I walk into the kitchen, my nose is hit by the airy smell of pancakes, the milk and eggs lingering. "You're really cooking?" I question, half expecting it to be box mix.

"Don't sound so surprised." Klaus giggles, turning around to face me as he turns the stove off. "Luther is like...hungover."

"Luther drank?" I question in shock, taking my scarf off and placing my things down as I take a seat by the table.