NUMBER FIVE.

AMBER HARGREEVES.                                                                                                                               present day.

"i act like i don't fucking care because i'm so fucking scared, i'm only a fool for you."

I WALK FOR WHAT FEELS LIKE HOURS, but must've only been forty minutes, until I reached a car garage, where the car had been towed to. "Do you have a phone?" I question, looking at the man who held my keys, and he nods to me.

"Just outside."

"Thanks, man." I drop some cash on the counter to cover the fees, taking my keys back and walking outside. I walk around the side of the garage until I see a phone box, and I step inside, placing a coin inside. I tap in the one number I know off by heart and pick up the phone, placing it to my ear as I lean against the side of the box, closing my eyes.

My head was pounding and tears had been stinging at my eyes since earlier. I felt humiliated since my encounter with Diego, and no doubt he felt the same way. I'm an idiot if I thought that watching one movie together could fix our relationship, like we'd be close anymore. I was fooling myself, and he let me.

"Hello?" Allison's voice hits my ear, and I take in a deep breath.

"Hi. Um, it's Amber." I whisper into the phone, scared that if I talk properly I might break down.

"Amber? What's up, girl?" I can hear Allison's smile through the phone, and I exhale, letting some stress off.

"Hey, um. Are you home..or, like, at the academy?"

"Uh, I'm at the academy, I'm about to visit Vanya."

"So you're busy?" I rub my temple with my free hand. "Alright, sorry hun, I'll see you later?"

"No, no. It's fine, Amber. Where are you?"

"Uh, some garage..picking up the car."

"Okay...when will you get back?"

"Like, half an hour or so."

"I'll be back around the same time, I'm just dropping her some coffee off, 'kay? Drive home, I'll meet you here."

"Okay. Love you." I whisper through the phone, a tear falling from my eye.

I hadn't told any of them that I loved them in such a long time, but I felt true sisterly love with Allison, and after hearing what Five said, about us having four days left, she deserved to know.

"Love you too, sis." She hangs up.

I slowly put the phone down, listening to the beep before I open my eyes again, sniffling and rubbing my face with the back of my palm. "Pull yourself together." I whisper to myself, blinking a few times.

I had felt allergic to all of my emotions for the last ten years. Avoiding contact with all of my family, wishing my father would die for everything he put me through, longing for just one conversation with Ben. Coming back had felt surreal, and now I realise that I may not have as much time as I'd hoped for.

I silently make my way to my car, unlocking it and sitting in the driver's seat, just staring out of the windshield.

I stare out, turning the radio off and listening to the hum in my ears, feeling my emotions take over me. I'd blocked them out for so long, hoped I could make amends with everyone, but not let anyone make amends with me first- why is it that I'm the one who has to fix the relationships that I didn't break?

It wasn't fair, none of it was.

Tears fall from my eyes freely now, and the ringing in my ears gets louder over the silence. I lean my forehead down, resting it on the steering wheel and covering my face with my hands as I cry.