THE DAY THAT CHANGED.

DIEGO HARGREEVES.                                                                                                                               present day.

"i tried to laugh about it, hiding the tears in my eyes 'cause boys don't cry."

THE WAY SHE LOOKS AT ME makes me nervous. 

Amber climbs out of the car first, almost forgetting to undo her seat belt. Against my will, I find myself rushing out of the car and following her into the gas station. Locking the car behind me, I jog to catch up behind Amber, my gear clicking slightly with every step. 

I follow her inside of the basically empty gas station, and I nod in greeting to the teenager who stood behind the cash register who seems to be half-awake. He doesn't nod back.

"What is it we want?" Amber whispers to me.

"Why are you whispering?" I whisper back, cautious to get too close to her as she practically falls over, against me. I grab her arms to steady her, before letting go and walking towards the refrigerated drinks section. 

Amber quietly follows after me, humming to herself. I pick up a bottled water from the isle before turning around to face her when I hear her humming.

"Amber." I call out, and she turns to face me, her hands full of snacks and candy. I let out a small sigh. "Did you bring your headphones?"

"Umm..." She drags out the 'm' sound, reaching into her pockets in search of headphones. When she lifts her hands up empty-handed, I let out a small sigh. "Nope. Why do I need headphones?"

"Ears?" I question.

"Noooooope." Amber continues to slur her speech, causing me to shake my head. "The ringing goes away when we hangout, Diego. You know this, silly."

She'd told me this earlier, the day we kissed. The day I kissed her, but I hadn't thought much of it, like it was one of those spur of the moment things, but maybe there was more truth to it than I thought.

The kiss is something that I need to discuss with Amber, but while she's in a gas station and tipsy, it's not the best idea. What I really need to figure out is what I think of the kiss.

It was me who kissed Amber, not the other way around, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to kiss her, but it didn't feel right, not so soon after I lost Patch. Patch and I broke up quite a while ago, and we were never too serious, but it felt wrong. The last thing I need to worry about is my love life when the apocalypse is on its way.

I hold the water bottle in the crevice of my injured arm, using the sling to balance it while my other hand runs through my hair, a sort of nervous habit I'd picked up on lately.

"Okay, ready?" I mumble to Amber as I walk towards the cash register, only stopping to make sure she was following me, which she was. I place the water bottle down on the desk right before Amber dumps two arms-worth of snacks. 

"Seventeen eighty nine." The cashier speaks in a bored tone after ringing up all of our items.

"This water was fifty cents." I mumble to Amber, who just shrugs. 

I grab my wallet from my pocket, taking some cash out before placing my wallet down on the end of the desk. While leaning over the desk to hand the cashier my money, my wallet slips off of the table.

Before I can lean down to grab it, Amber swiftly picks it up. "What's this?" She giggles, pulling a polaroid photo out of the wallet. I swallow down on air, reaching out to grab it.