THE JENNIFER INCIDENT.

a/n: season four just came out, so naturally this story is getting dug up out of the archives LOL!
just want to clarify, this was written before the jennifer incident so it will not be storyline accurate ): <3

AMBER HARGREEVES march, 2006.

"i'm only human after all, don't put the blame on me."

BEN IS DEAD. Ben died. Ben is gone, dead, not yet cold. I'll never see Ben again.

I screamed and screamed and it still wasn't enough, now there's nothing but ashes and dust, blood splattered and bodies all across the floor.

It was Diego and I that Ben was stationed with, all of us split into different groups for this mission. Diego, Ben and I have been inseparable for as long as I can remember, it was always the three of us hanging out, working together, doing everything together.

"We need to get him out." Diego's voice breaks our moment of silence, him standing across the room while I'm on my knees on the ground, next to his body.

"We can't." I whisper, my head lifting to look behind Diego where our only exit is, flames licking at every corner of the building, smoke beginning to fan out and enter the room we're stuck inside of.

"We have to." Diego groans, making his way over to me, looking at Ben's body from where I was kneeling.

His body was covered in bruises and blood, a large cut all the way around his head which was no longer bleeding.

I can't help but feel responsible, but the three of us split up when we were in the room. Maybe we shouldn't have, but there were more people to take on than we'd anticipated, and we were better on our own. Diego's powers only work on one or two people at a time, mine only work when my family covers their ears and Ben hates us seeing him use his power.

It doesn't matter now, I should've let their ears bleed, let them go deaf, Diego should've missed a few shots he took, because now we've failed.

"Okay." I finally whisper, my lungs filling up with smoke as the fire rages on, only getting bigger.

I shakily stand up and take a few wobbly steps towards Ben, my vision blurred by the tears falling from my eyes, while Diego takes a few strides towards Ben's body with what looks like ease despite the strained look on his face.

I grab the bottoms of his ankles, Diego grabbing his torso from under his armpits, and the two of us heave to try to lift him up.

We manage to lift him into the air, at the height of our knees, and attempt to walk one step at a time to the exit.

We make it to what could be an exit, just as I focus my hearing and hear creaking just above us, causing me to slowly raise my head, looking through my blurry eyesight to a lit up wooden beam, on the verge of falling.

"Diego!" I yell out, motioning with my head to the beam about to fall just where we're going to step.

The two of us have a choice to make, to risk carrying Ben's body through the exit where a wooden beam on fire may fall on us, taking out all of us, or leave his body behind and run out while we can.

*✧・゚: *✧・゚

"Incompetence. You had a simple mission and you disobeyed easy orders, you've failed and you've lost Number Six." Reginald Hargreeves' voice booms over the rain, umbrella above his head giving us all a clear view of the disappointment written all over his face.