THE END OF THE WORLD.

AMBER HARGREEVES                                                                                                                                 present day

"i need to save you, but who's gonna save me? please forgive me for whatever i do when i don't remember you."

SOMETIMES I THINK I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.

I push and push and push through it all, pushing my limits until I'm bent over backwards. Every time I think to myself, OK, that's enough, I take some more.

I shouldn't, I know I shouldn't, but each time I'm face-to-face with my limit, something even worse occurs. Maybe those bad things that occur when I'm at my limit wouldn't affect me so badly if they happened when I'm in a good mood.

Maybe. That way I wouldn't be in a hole of self pity and self-destruction. That way I wouldn't think that every bad thing that happens to me is targeted to make my life miserable, and that it's just a bad thing that happened to me.

Bad things happen regardless, right? Bad things happen to good and bad people, not just to me, not just because I'm a fake Hargreeves. Moved in when I was a teenager and had everything to learn, couldn't go on missions until I knew what I was doing.

Then when I finally had control over my powers, I lost them. Life works weird like that, you can spend years building up to something, learning something, and it's gone within seconds.

That's how it feels to be around Diego, constantly walking on a tightrope, like if I say one wrong thing he'll lash out, or if he yells at me I'll consider him my ex-husband, then we're both in a screaming war.

I wouldn't have it any other way, though. That's just us.

*✧・゚: *✧・゚

The Icarus theater is booming with applause and cheering. Soft music is orchestrated from a variety of stringed instruments, and I pause to catch my breath against the wall beside the entrance to the theater.

"Shame this is the first time we hear her playing for an audience." I sigh out, and Diego gives me a sympathetic look, but doesn't respond as we all try to catch our breath.

"Alright, let's go." Luther nods to us, and we all stand upright and jog into the theater in an attempt to waste as little time as possible.

We make our way through the doors, the ticket guard off elsewhere as the show has already begun, and we climb up a set of red, carpeted stairs.

Everything about this place is fancy and high-class, if it wasn't such a nice building I might compare it to the academy.

We make our way to an entrance and I watch as Allison holds her hand out, stopping us from going inside straight away.

"Wha-" Luther begins, stopping himself and reading what Allison's note says.

The note reads: 'I NEED TO GO ALONE.'

"Allison, I can't let you do that, alright? She's beyond reasoning." Luther sighs.

Diego jogs in front of us, making his way to the doors of the playing room, extending his arm out in frustration to Vanya's direction, hidden behind the double doors. "You hear the music? It's started."

"Do you honestly think she's gonna listen?" Luther ignores Diego, continuing to reason with Allison. "After everything that's happened?"

Klaus pats his foot against the floor repeatedly. "We don't have time for this."