26 - Cure Diamond

Yuki sat upright on her bed, staring at the golden little locket, the device that allowed Rikka to transform into Cure Diamond.
The Loveaid had been bestowed upon her. It had chosen her to carry Rikka's legacy and become the next Cure Diamond. The only problem was that none of the other girls actually knew. Regina hadn't even attempted to discuss the idea of Yuki becoming a Precure with the others. She merely acted on impulse and a hunch.

Even if the Loveaid chose her, Yuki wasn't even sure if she could live up to the high standards her late friend had set.

Eventually, the brunette decided it was time to get some sleep, and she drifted off, holding the Loveaid close to her chest.

//

"Regina?!"

Yuki awoke suddenly to the sound of a grouchy Mana.
Oh dear.
As Yuki's eyes slowly adjusted to being open, she noticed Mana holding the Loveaid Regina had given her.

The brunette was known to toss and turn in her sleep. The locket must have fallen out of her bed and ended up on the floor, and the threatening pinkette must have spotted it almost immediately.

"Morning Mana!" Regina greeted with a smile before taking a big bite of toast.

"Don't 'morning Mana' me! Explain this!" Mana hissed as she held up the Loveaid.
Regina simply rolled her eyes, causing Mana's expression to darken.
"Yuki has what it takes to be a Precure. I thought she could be the next Cure Diamond. Even you would see that." Regina stated slowly, standing her ground.
The firmness in her voice actually shook the pinkette.

Mana found herself at a loss for words. She didn't know whether to feel angry, frustrated, or sad. How did Regina even know whether Yuki was up to the task?

"Mana," Regina began, "stop being so stubborn. Just because she's gone doesn't mean we have to stay as five. Give Yuki a chance."

Yuki watched helplessly as the couple argued back and forth, debating other whether Yuki would get to join their ranks or not.

"The Loveaid chose her! And you know as well as I that once a Loveaid chooses you, you are chosen for life." Regina finished her side of the argument.
Mana truly could not think of a comeback. She herself knew that she was in the wrong. She was only arguing because nobody could replace... her.

With a sigh, Mana shook her head, and left the room.
Regina turned to the bewildered Yuki, who was now very much awake.
"Sorry about that." She simply mumbled before grabbing her school uniform.
Yuki nodded quietly, and she too grabbed her uniform.

//

The walk to school was awkward. The air around Yuki and Regina was tense, and the blonde had her head low.
'That was my first argument... why does she have to be so stubborn sometimes?!'

Regina snapped back into reality when she heard a small yelp escape from Yuki's lips, and found her hugging onto a telephone pole.
The blonde tilted her head in confusion.
"Y-you just randomly punched the wall and it scared me."

"I'm sorry-!" Regina hastily apologised, "I just - I don't know what's wrong with her lately. She's been grumpier than usual."

//

"Hey! Mana!" Makoto shouted, before folding her arms.
Mana looked at her sadly and sighed.
"What's wrong? You can tell me..." Makoto continued softly.
"I got into a fight with Regina." Mana responded emptily.

Makoto sighed. "Why?"

"She gave Yuki the Loveaid. It chose her."