38 - The Beast

Cure Heart looked at Yuki, her face flushed. The unearthly beast stepped into the room with a thunderous stomp. It sniffed the air, trying to sniff out the two teenagers. Fortunately, it could not pick out Heart's and Yuki's scents beneath the stale, damp smelling sheet that shielded them.

The creature let out an unearthly howl, hoping to strike fear into its victims.

Cure Heart inched her head to face Yuki, and noticed she was shaking. She slowly covered her mouth with a hand and held a finger to her own, telling her to be quiet.
She carefully moved her head back to where the beast was standing, and saw nothing there.
Just then the bed frame began to creak and groan and the bars beneath the mattress began to bend and crack.
The girls' heart rate quickened as they realised what was going on, it was self explanatory after all.
But then as Cure Heart turned her head her blood ran cold.

There, the otherworldly beast stared at her, its black empty eyes staring at her with an insatiable hunger.
The creature growled and cackled. It was toying with the girls.
'What a treat' it thought to itself. An entire buffet.

//

Outside, Regina and the rest of the Precure team continued to look for a way in. By this point, the girls had drawn several conclusions as to how they couldn't enter the building, and almost all of them had to do with that terrifying creature they saw in the window.

"What the hell was that, though?" Asked Regina, folding her arms and leaning against the wall.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say that thing was a Wendigo." Answered Cure Ace, still trying to find a way inside.

"Wendi-what?"

"A Wendigo is a supernatural being from North American folklore. In most legends, Wendigos are a result of humans transforming into them because of greed or weakness." Cure Rosetta explained.

"Wait so why is it even here then??" Asked Cure Sword, standing up straight and looking towards where they initially saw the nightmarish beast.

"Perhaps it's a result of Zandik messing with things?" Suggested Regina.

"Right, ladies, I've figured this out" Cure Ace announced while standing up, making the other girls face her, "I know why we can't get in. It's to do with the Wendigo. It's turning the house into its own plane of existence."

"Can't we get in??" Asked Regina.

"I'm still working that out."

"Aguri. My girlfriend and my friend are trapped in there."

Cure Ace sighed and looked into Regina's desperate eyes.

//

Back inside, Cure Heart jumped out from under the bed, facing off against the evil foe. The beast snarled and jumped off of the bed, standing up to full height, trying to intimidate Cure Heart.
She drew a sword, not wanting to back down and slashed the creature.
With a terrifying roar the creature grabbed Cure Heart with one hand and lifted her in the air, throwing her down the stairs.

Yuki decided now was the perfect time to transform into Cure Diamond, and she jumped out from under the bed. The Wendigo spotted her and lunged at her, knocking them both through the window. They rolled through the air, Cure Diamond using the momentum to get on top of the beast so she wouldn't get fatally wounded by her hitting the floor first.

Cure Heart slowly got to her feet. She had heard the smashing of glass, meaning there was now a way out from the place of hell she found herself in.
As she tried to move up the stairs, she realised she couldn't, and she hit the steps, falling forwards. She turned to see something that had grabbed onto her leg. Cure Heart tried to free her leg from the tentacle that had restrained her.

Suddenly the tentacle was cut in half as she felt herself being lifted up the stairs.

Outside, Yuki stood up, looking over the beast. It looked up at her, before swiping her away and sprinting away into the woods behind the house. The creature was free, and now they'd have no idea on where it would be.

Regina carried Mana out of the house, and what perfect timing it was. As she gently set Mana down on the floor to catch her breath, the house which she was trapped in suddenly crumbled to the ground. The rest of the Precure quickly joined Regina's side.

"Mana, Yuki, thank goodness you're okay..." Makoto exclaimed, embracing them both.

"I know what Zandik's planning next. We have to get to the city." Mana ordered, standing up. There was no time to rest, for the final steps of Zandik's plan were underway. However none of the Precure realised just how devastating this battle would be.