Average Mornings

Staring at nothing. The ocean is quiet and still. Large waves rolled off the huge ship. Wind whipped though the ship but I remained still. Taking a deep breath I shut my eyes, relaxing. Leaning against the cold metal railing. Even though my hair is getting ruined, and my feathers are getting damp. I can't help but relax anyway.

"Hey United, my radar picked up a hurricane heading to Florida." a voice broke the calm. Yet it got swept away with the wind. Looking over, Cuba stood a few paces away. He pursed his lips while looking down at his radar.

"How bad do you think it's going to be when it hits land?" Cuba's head snapped upwards when I questioned. Looking back out to the extensive sea.

"Probably no more than three. Looks pretty small on the map." He replied. Pocketing whatever it was. I nodded. An awkward silence filled in between us. Whistling wind made no change.

"I dont get why he called this one." I wondered aloud. "Seems way too close to the last one. He's messing up his own schedule."

"I want to know also. Technically I'm supposed to have a meeting with one of my governors but because the UN just had to call a meeting, I'm stuck on this vessel for the next week." Cuba said in an annoyed tone while walking over to stand next to me. Leaning with his back against the railing. I glanced at him.

"Same, Kansas needed me to talk with the board for something. Though I could have DC do it instead."

"Heh, you're lucky you have all those states." I raise a brow.

"It seems like it would be, but wait till all of them are under the same roof."
"I remember what that was like. Though you got what, one hundred of em? Sports nights must suck."

"Terrifying. They would, no do, fight tooth and nail over whose team is better. Still don't know why having two for each state was a good idea." I laugh.

"Seems like something that would be helpful till it's not." Cuba pulled out his cigs. Picking one out, before offering me the pack.

"I'm good." I wave away the pack. Cuba nods. Putting the cig between his teeth before digging in his pocket for a lighter. Turning his back to the wind he lights it.

"How's Mrs?" I crack. Cuba gave an awkward smile over his shoulder while rubbing the back of his neck.

"We're expecting."

"Congratulations!" Straightening, I turn around and give his shoulder a shake. He laughs and playfully pushes me.

"Yeah. I'm going to be in big trouble when I get back though." Cuba sighed.

"How come?"

"I'm not supposed to have these. So when she finds out I snuck 'em out of her drawer, I'm done for." Cuba faked a scared tone before breaking into some light laughter.

"I'll send my best wishes to her, and to you if you survive." I snicker. He gave me another shove, before freezing as his phone started ringing. Plucking it out, Cuba flashed the screen at me.

"Welp, you best be going. Tell her I said hi!" giving him a thumbs up before taking a few steps back.

"Will do. See you tomorrow USA." Cuba says before hurrying off. Watching after him. This is the most normal conversation I've had with him in a while. Pocketing my hands I continue onwards. The sky is painted a gorgeous red. Hollywood would kill me if she found out I didn't take a picture. My phone's cool glass flicked on, so I opened the camera. Crap. Of course the metal has to reflect the sun.

Walking through the warmer hallways I send the picture to Hollywood. It didn't turn out as good as I wanted it to, but I think she'll like it. Workers buzzed about, even though it's almost 10pm. Some seemed more stressed than others. Yet they all still cleared the way for me. I walked silently down the hall. Slipping into a silent stairwell, my shoes clacked on each metal step. Getting to the apartment floor I walk down to mine. Chatter came from other countries' rooms. Unlocking the heavy metal door I step into the cold room. Long shadows from the lone light of the hallway. I slap the switch and walk in. My briefcase and paper work scattered about. Unlatching my case I take my laptop out and plug it in. I take my dog tags off, the chain caching in my hair.