Chapter 18 - Time

TW// Death

Wilbur's POV

I woke up the next morning with Cassie's warm body in my arms. She was cuddled close to me and her head was in my bare chest. I go to grab my phone out of the pocket of my jeans that are splayed out next to the bed, but Cassie grabs my hand.

"Are you leaving?" She asks me. She looks up at me and frowns.

"No," I tell her. "I was just making sure I didn't have anything important to do today."

"Okay," she lays her head back down and wraps her leg over mine, so that she'll feel if I try to leave. I grab my jeans and pull my phone out of the pocket.

"Fuck," I mumble.

She looks up and scowls, "I knew it."

"Cassie, I'm so sorry," I whisper. "I had this pre-planned. I have to do it. It's for the band and if I don't we won't be able to do more gigs and get the money to do our tours."

"Fine," she bluntly rolls her eyes and unhooks her leg as from mine. I look at my phone again and then back at her.

I sigh, "It doesn't matter."

"What?" She looks at me again. "No, I didn't mean to..."

I pull her towards me and kiss her gently, "You didn't make me do anything. Right now, you're more important than any stupid band or gig or traveling. I love my fans, but right now, you're the most important thing in my life."

She lightly smiles and giggles, "What's so funny? This better not be a joke, Cassandra."

"No," she says quickly. "I just...I just thought about how you just took away my innocence."

"I..." then it hit me like a freight train flying down a straight track. I just took her virginity. "Cassie...I'm sorry."

"No," she says. "I wanted to. It's at least one thing I'll get to have passed on knowing that I lost myself a celebrity."

"I..." I started to feel uncomfortable with the mention of her passing. "Cassie, how...how'd you know? I mean, how'd you find out?"

She sucks in a breath, "I've always known. I've known for as long as I could remember. It was always there. I just tried to ignore it, but I can no longer do that. I can't ignore it because with every second I can feel myself slowly drifting away."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask her.

"Would you have believed me after I always seemed so perfectly fine?" She asks.

"Cassie, I don't take death as a joke," I say. "When someone even mentions it...it causes darkness inside me."

"Why?" She ask.

"I had a friend," I whisper. "He was my idol, my inspiration, my brother, and my closest friend all wrapped in a package. He was suffering, but he was strong-willed. He made his situation into something that didn't make us feel as bad as it was. One day he'd be fine and just like that he was worse. I thought that he...that he would make it. We all did. He was so strong and he fought it until he just couldn't do it anymore. It still hurts thinking about him. There's a hole in my heart that only he can fill, but I know that he's not suffering anymore. I know that he's still here with me and he always will be. I plan to always keep his legend alive, if it's the last thing I do."

She looks down at her hands, "Is that why you're doing this?"

"Doing what?"

"Doing this for me...being here," she says.

"It's not only that," I look down at her and push her chin up to look at me. "I'm doing this because I'm in love with you, and the least I can do is be there for you. Be there so you have someone when you move on. Someone to...to know loved you. Someone that can leave your legacy and spread it for everyone else to know the real you. The Cassie who knew just what to do to make me smile. The Cassie who could make a 6 foot 7 man fall to his knees and beg and do anything for her to love him."

"Will," it was so quiet it wasn't there. "I...I love you."

Her eyes drift shut and she lays her head in my chest, "Cassie?"

She doesn't respond.

A rope snapped inside me and I lost all of my sanity.

I shake her and scream her name, but there's nothing coming back, "Cassie! Cassie, please, come back! I can't lose you too! Cassie!"

I keep shaking her and screaming. I beg for her to come back if only for a second. The neighbors must have heard my pleas because soon there was knocking on the door. I didn't care. All I cared about was the girl I loved who just died in my arms.

"Cassie," I try to take deep breathes. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry that I took your joke too seriously and I'm sorry that I didn't realize what you were going through. Please, come back. Please."

I hold her cold corpse closer to me and sob. All I needed was more time. That's all I wanted. Time.

{Created: July 8, 2022, at 2:03 pm}

[Published: July 8, 2022, at 2:45 pm]

Word Count: 910 Words