Chapter 20 - Drunken Dreams

I passed out and now I was somewhere else, but I didn't know where. It was dark and voided. I could hear a two simple sound. Voices. One was deep and masculine and the other was more feminine.

"He's here," the deeper whispers. "He's here for a visit. He won't be staying here long."

"Can I see him?" The female asks. Her voice sounded familiar. Both of them did, but they sounded...rehabilitated and comfortable. They sounded healthy. Realization struck. I try to run towards the voices, but every time it seemed I got closer. I was falling behind.

"Stop!" Says a voice beside me. It was gentle, but frightening. I turn towards it. There she stood. Her skin was clear. Her hair all the same as when I last saw her, and her eyes. God, her eyes. They stared back at me with so much longing I fell to my knees.

"Cassie?" I whisper. I didn't want break this illusion.

"Will," she whispers. "You can't keep doing this."

A presence shifts beside her, "Alex? Techno? Is that you?"

"Who do you think it is, nerd?" He smiles. I try to run up and hug them, but a force pushes me back. "Wilbur, you can't do that."

"Why?" I ask. "Do you realize thats all I want to do. All I ever want to do. Is hug you and be there for you guys and apologize for all my wrongs because I didn't give you guys enough attention. Hell, I didn't even say goodbye. Not even to Cassie and she was in my arms."

Cassie looks away grief-stricken, "Will, please."

"What?" I ask. "I just want you guys back. That's all I want. That's all I'll ever want."

"Well, if you keep doing stupid shit like this you won't," she yells. "You won't get us back."

"No, Cassie," I whisper. "You don't understand. The stupid things I'm doing got me here, so obviously I'm doing something right."

Techno and Cassie look at each other, "Wilbur."

"You're not here," Techno says slowly. "We're here."

"I don't understand," I expressed.

"You're dreaming," Cassie says. "You're drunk in your bed and when you wake up...we leave."

"No," I say. "No! You're lying! I-I-I-I'm here!"

"Wilbur!" Techno scolded. "Stop!"

"Techno," I whisper. "I...I don't want to leave you guys again."

"You won't," he reassures. "If you get better, you won't. You will be back. You'll be here. With us."

"How the fuck am I gonna go back to being normal after this?!" I yell. "After seeing my dead brother and my dead best friend because unfortunately I also never got the chance to ask her out!"

Cassie looks a at from me, "Why aren't you saying anything, Cassie?"

"I..." she whispers.

"The least you could do is talk to me," I say. "Don't I at least get that much from you? Or am I not doing enough?"

I heard her sniffle, "Wilbur, calm down."

"I watched the love of my life die in my arms and now she's standing here barely saying anything to me and you expect me to calm down! No, I'm not gonna calm down! I'm not gonna fucking calm down!"

Cassie started to sob, "Cassie, go over there."

Techno points in the distance and she disappears, "Wilbur, you can't talk to her like that. She's the reason we're here."

"No, she's the reason I'm here," I say. "I want to stay here. I don't want to leave. I will do everything to come back."

"No, you won't," Techno smirks.

"And why the hell not?"

Techno smirks at me and I know exactly what he's thinking, "You wouldn't."

"He's a nice kid," says Techno. "He's your brother too you know, so stop shitting on him and give him a break or I'll give him one for you."

Soon I felt myself slowly melting away, "Techno, stop! Techno! Techno, please, I want to stay!"

There I sat up drenched in sweat, "Fuck!"

{Created: July 10, 2022, at 10:42 am}

[Published: July 11, 2022, at 10:50 am]

Word Count: 686 Words