Chapter 24 - Dinner

Cassandra comes into the living room where we are and notices all the facial expressions. Thomas looked quite furious about the fact that I called Amelia my friend. Amber was also displeased about the event and she sat arms crossed and face scrunched into a scowl.

Oliver and Amelia on the other hand were completely relaxed. Oliver was ecstatic about getting to sit next to me and Amelia was just over the moon in general that she got claimed as a friend.

I didn't do it to make anyone upset, I just felt bad that she was getting bullied by her sister for having a crush that she'll probably grow out of. To be fair Amber was being quite the hypocrite in that department anyway.

"Hey," says Cassandra. "Dinner's ready. What's up with you guys?"

She looks pointedly at Amber and Thomas sitting on the opposite side of the room from me. She notices I was sitting closer to the other two and she frowns.

"Dinner's ready," she mumbles and walks back to the dinning area.

I get up and walk with the kids back there. I sat down in my seat and waited. I didn't know if they were the type to do any type of blessing before the food, but instead everyone grabbed the platter in front of them took one of the contents and passed it to the next person.

Cassandra looks down at the platter and then at me signaling for me to do the same. Honestly, I hated this. I hated this whole night so much. I wanted to go home, but like I said before it wasn't the family's fault so I was stuck.

"So, Cassie," I flinch at her statement. It has started to become a habit at this point. "How'd you meet this idol?"

"Oh, um..." she looks at her plate. "I met him at...uh...the park. He was sitting on the bench and writing a new song and I walked over because of course I didn't know who he was and spoke. After that he took me to a fancy dinner and asked me out all a month later."

She flashes a smile and I look at her completely bewildered. I was with my Cassie a month ago. I didn't even know this woman until about three days ago. What kind of shit was she on?

"Wilbur," she looks at me. "So...how have you been treating her?"

I gritted my teeth, "With more respect than she could ever get."

I was gonna rephrase that, but I decided against it.

Would I be wrong for saying it.

I have been treating her with more respect than she deserves. She just told a bald-faced lie to her own parents.

I kept my mouth closed, "Wilbur, my children really seem to like you. How long have you and Cassie been dating."

I look at up at her from my plate of food and I go to open my mouth, "I..."

"Almost a year now," Cassandra smiles as she cuts me off. I shoot her a look and she stares at me back for a few seconds before continuing. "Wilbur, actually proposed to me last week."

She pulls her hand from under the table and on it sat a small diamond ring.

Her mother covers her mouth and smiles in shock, "Oh my gosh."

I roll my eyes. This can't be happening. This was all a setup. I felt so fucking stupid as I just sat there letting her belt out lies.

"We're actually working on a baby," she says.

I spit out the food I had just gulped down to keep myself quiet. Everyone turns to look at me.

"Is there something you want to tell us, Wilbur?" Asks the father. "I hope that you know if you get my precious daughter pregnant you will take care of your child."

At this point I couldn't tell you what was going on because I didn't even know, "Um...of course, sir."

"Can you excuse me?" I ask as I stand up, but Cassandra pulls my arm back down to seat me again. "Wilbur, darling, you know we don't excuse ourselves during family dinner. I thought we talked about this."

"I...have to...use the bathroom," I say.

"Well, you have to hold it," she mumbles.

"Cassie, let Wilbur go to the bathroom," says Amelia. "It's his first dinner he's not gonna be perfect."

"Butt out, Amelia," says Thomas. "It's her boyfriend. He should know the rules. No one cares that you're his new best friend."

"What?" Asks the mother. "What do you mean best friend? Wilbur, are you playing favorites with my children?"

So much was happening at once and I didn't know what was happening, "I need some fresh air."

I quickly get up and move away before Cassandra can drag me back down. I walk to the living room and almost make it to the door, but she's standing in front of the door, "Look, Wilbur. You can't leave. I have to make them proud of me. You don't understand."

"No, I understand perfectly," I say. "You were using me! You do realize I'm not your personal actor! Especially when it goes this far! I'm not your fiancé, I'm not marrying you, and I'm sure as hell not having a child with you! I don't even know you!"

She looks behind my back, "Wilbur, that's just the sadness talking. Come on, come back to dinner."

She grabs my hand, but I pull it away, "Stop."

She looks at me and then all of sudden she kissed me. I push her off, "What is hell wrong with you!"

"Why are you talking to my daughter like that?" I turn around to find her father in the dining room doorway.

"Look, you're daughter is lying," I tell him. "I don't even know her. We met like three days ago in a store in the liquor aisle. I didn't give her that ring and I most certainly don't want children with someone I just met."

She puts her head in her hands, "Wilbur, how could you say these things. I thought you loved me?"

I look at her and then back at her father and then I walk out the door. I slam it shut and make my way back home.

When I walk inside Phil is on the couch, "How was it, mate?"

I groan infuriated with myself for letting her use me like a chess pawn.

I slam my door shut and go to bed.

Why can't I just have her back?

{Created: July 24, 2022, at 5:56 am}

[Published: July 24, 2022 at 6:35 am]

Word Count: 1120 Words